Thread: Google - Manipulate Your Listings For More Traffic.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Google - Manipulate Your Listings For More Traffic.

Here is an article that was finished off earlier todfay which may help some of you get more traffic from Google from the listings you currently have

Google - Manipulate Your Listings For More Traffic.

Google seems to be the Search Engine that everyone talks about almost on a daily basis however, far from being about search engine optimization and specifically about Google related SEO I wanted to touch on something new that, perhaps you would not have already thought about.

Manipulating Google Traffic.

So your site is already listed in Google but you want to increase the amount of traffic you receive, one way that we as a company have been successfully using for the last 18 months is that of manipulating the display of our click able links in Google, how are we doing this? Simple, using ASCII character codes in your meta tags.

ASCII In Your Meta Tags.

ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) it has been proven, when used in your HTML page Meta Tags will actually display not only letters and numbers but, symbols as well, as a webmaster this can give you a great advantage over how much traffic you can pull from your Google listings and, not only Google, a few of the other search engines also read ASCII code when it is found in your Meta Tags.

Putting This To Use Practically.

A good method of putting this to use would be utilizing in your Meta Tags as follows.

PHP Code:
    <title>Site Name <ASCII code herepage title</title>
    <
    meta name="Description" content="normal page description">
    <
    meta name="Keywords" content="normal keywords"
    This will display a search engine listing that not only has your site name on it as well as a description but, in the position where the ASCII code will appear you will also have an attention grabbing symbol ensuring that your site stands out from all the others listed on the same search engine results page as yours.

ASCII Meta Tags - An Overview.

Hopefully you have seen how adapting your current HTML page Meta Tags by placing an ASCII character code within them can benefit you for gleaming further search engine traffic to your sites and, with this new found knowledge you may well place both your sites traffic and your bottom line profits ahead of other webmasters.

Article written by Lee.
    http://www.adultwebmastertoolbar.com.
    Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    While this technique might work just fine in the moment, I have to caution about relying on this sort of thing to get you any long lasting results. In fact, you could get some very good short-term results, but wake up one morning a few months down the road to find your site has been dropped to page 998.

Google regularly adjusts it algorithms to correct for the latest tricks and spamdexing techniques, and in fact, they just did a big correction back in November that left a lot of site owners screaming.

Your best bet to get good rankings in Google is to spend the time writing good, original content. If you don't, and if you rely on some trick to get a good ranking, rest assured that at some point down the road, you will be opening up a thousand pages on your site, removing some offending bit of spamdexing, and then, holding your breath to see if your rankings go back up.

Two years ago, I began working for a large conglomerate of adult sites (I don't work for them any more) but I spent a three weeks going through every single site and removing invisible keywords, pairing down the keyword META tags from dozens of words to one or two, and cleaning up the description tag, and removing a couple of other offending bits.

At the same time, I was told to load up the title tag with long, keyword jam-packed titles and we started registering keyword-rich domain names separated with hypens. Now of course, we know that Google prefers short titles and there's some speculation that Google is starting to correct for abuse of keywords in the URL. And most of the sites that had good rankings have since disappeared in the indexes.

Cheers
    Dzinerbear

Macho 411
    how do i get the ascii code for the tile of my site:boom:

just did a search on google and it looks like this ascii thing is just not happening anymore, wonder if all those sites got dropped in the google shuffles.

hrmmm.....

cheers,
    Luke

Originally posted by Chilihost
    just did a search on google and it looks like this ascii thing is just not happening anymore, wonder if all those sites got dropped in the google shuffles.
    Actually a day or two after i wrote this article they did change their stance on ASCII characters showing up in the meta tags however, if you know the right search term to use you can still find about 15 sites using this method for several of the ASCII codes they dont seem to have altered

Regards,

Lee

Hammer
    My understanding is that Gooble no longer reads meta tags, so the title and description don't appear as you write them anyway and the problem with these little tricks is that they may work for a short time but then they rewrite the alogarithms, bang, you're right back where you started. Not to mention the fact that it never takes long for your competitors to try the same tricks so all the listings on the page would have had the character anyway.

IMO, anyone that relies on the SEs for the majority of their traffic is setting themselves up for a huge disappointment. Two cliches that come to mine are:

Here today, gone tomorrow.

and

Never been all your eggs in one basket.

Inactive GWW Members
    Lee, thanks for this tutorial, I always like to read to the tutorials you list on this board, although I know from practice many things about Google, I always love to read more, and sometimes discover a few more tips. Thanks!

Hammer
    LOL, obviously I meant Google, but missed the time window to edit it.

Good grief, I guess I was drunk when I wrote that post.

Never put all your eggs in one basket.
    Last edited by Hammer; 06-28-2004 at 09:29 AM.

Originally posted by Hammer
    My understanding is that Gooble no longer reads meta tags, so the title and description don't appear as you write them anyway
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ale+webmasters

Check the first listing on those search results Hammer

the problem with these little tricks is that they may work for a short time but then they rewrite the alogarithms, bang, you're right back where you started.
    Agreed thats why to be good at SEO you have to be constantly changing the ways in which as a webmaster you do things. Check the date of this original article and the reply i gave to Luke above, youll see that because of changes i have had to change the way i do my SEO work to remain competitive with the Google engine

Not to mention the fact that it never takes long for your competitors to try the same tricks so all the listings on the page would have had the character anyway.
    This was one of the reasons Google recently changed their algorythm and as mentioned above SEO work is one long continuous battle to 'outsmart' the engine.

IMO, anyone that relies on the SEs for the majority of their traffic is setting themselves up for a huge disappointment. Two cliches that come to mine are:

Here today, gone tomorrow.

and

Never been all your eggs in one basket.
    Agreed diversification is most definately an important factor in any business not just the online adult industry, bakeries dont just sell bread like they used to some now sell dairy products and candies to remain profitable in the long term we as webmasters need to move with these changes to ensure that our business model remans profitable and diverse also

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    So what's the scoop on this Ascii character thing in the title tag? Is it still helping?

Cheers
    Dzinerbear

Originally posted by Dzinerbear
    So what's the scoop on this Ascii character thing in the title tag? Is it still helping?
    Well its not that its giving you more traffic per say rather that its making your listings 'look' more prominent on the search result pages which in turn gives you a higher chance of someone cliking on your listing

Regards,

Lee

Hammer
    Originally posted by Lee
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ale+webmasters

Check the first listing on those search results Hammer
    So it would appear that if you don't have any actual text on the page that they pick up the meta description, yet if you have text, as the second link does, they don't?

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Interesting tutorial about it.

I agree that you need to diversify and seek traffic from all valid sources, but SE is targetted traffic that should, if you've done your site right, convert better than most other traffic as the surfer is looking for what you are offering.

obviously if you target keywords and phrases that have nothing to do with your product the conversions will suck, but i still believe SE traffic is a free and more relevent target not worth ignoring.

just my opinion
    Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Hammer
    Nobody is disagreeing with you on that Ian.

Sorry Lee, I just noticed the post date of your original post. :grin:

I just love it when people resurrect old posts and I assume they are new.

BDBionic
    ASCII characters won't get you ranked any higher.
    But Lee has a very good point in the importance of formatting your page so that what shows up in Google's little "blurb" about your site is something that will attract the surfer's eye. Something that, apart from the placement on the site in the index itself, will get them to click on that link before or instead of the other 10 that'll be on that page of search results.

As far as optimizing on the whole, there's nothing more valuable than content. It comes down to that in every single aspect of running a site, adult or otherwise. Content, content, content.

Give your site relevant, meaningful, informative text content. Relevant text will never go out of style. It's not an SEO "trick". In order to make Google think your page is more relevant to a certain set of keywords than any other site... make it more relevant to a certain set of keywords than any other site!!!.

It's that simple! If you write up text that is legible, coherent, and informative, all of the following should be a natural by product of that:

- The text will have recurring instances of the keywords in the body without it being excessive or "spammy".
    - Other webmasters and other sites - from discussion forums to sites you've never heard about - will link to your page when referencing information about that set of keywords because they too have determined that there exists relevant information on it. So you score points on the backlink variable.
    - No matter how Google changes their algorithm, you'll always have something that informs users about the keywords you're writing about and that they'll find useful - and that, ultimately, is the criteria Google goes after most when ranking sites.

Sneaky tricks and dujour optimization tricks will become obsolete the day Google updates their ranking system, so don't create more work for yourself.

I wrote an article on it here in case anyone is interested in reading it.

But in focusing on optimizing the page itself, as Lee mentioned, it's vital to not forget the intricate details of what may significantly affect your clickthrus. The page has to appear relevant not only to the search engine itself, but to the surfer who finds your site in the SE's listings. Make sure your title tags and text on your site is something that would make someone want to click on it.

Here are some examples of pages I've optimized for Bel Ami models. There are tons and tons of pages out there dedicated to these models, and so they're highly competitive spots extremely difficult to optimize for. The competition is fierce. So rather than creating some cruddy page overloaded with their names and the keyphrase... I just created pages that had regular old, legible, informal text that talked about the model. Nothing fancy. Nothing intense. Simple, yet effective. And the surfer that clicks on that page, sees some legible, informative, and provocative content proceeds on through the links to Bel Ami's site that much more a qualified surfer who has not only been snagged from the search engine, but sent off to their final destination (BelAmi Online) that much more marketed to and urged to buy.

-Claude Cocteau
    -Max Orloff
    -Yves Carradine
    -Julian Armanis
    -Danny Saradon
    -Lukas Ridgeston
    -Sascha Chaykin
    -Daniel Valent

And you know what, that same technique works even against the odds. Just making it relevant and informative. With natural, coherent, legible and unforced keyword reoccurence. So much so, in fact, that my JuicyGoo reviews get better ranking on Google that many of the sites the reviews are about! Beating out even the domain names themselves on top placement.

-CorbinFisher.com
    -RandyBlue.com
    -AWOLMarines.com
    -BFCollection
    -GoldenBoysUSA.com
    -HardNStraight.com
    -GetSpanky.com
    -HotDesertKnights
    -BoysGoneBad
    -BoyRide

Again, no fancy tricks or sneaky tactics. Very simple metatags. Nothing elaborate. Just text. Not even formal fancy text. Just regular old flowing copy that I wrote naturally - without even obsessing over SEO. Just wrote what I wanted to write about those models and sites. Do it naturally and it'll optimize itself.

Anyways, hope that helps some understanding Google.

The search engines are fiercely competitive with one another, Google and Yahoo especially. As more big players enter the SE industry, optimization all comes down to making your site truly relevant to the keyphrases you're going after. Because it's imperative for the search engines themselves to return for their surfers the most relevant results. That's what makes them competitive! That's what keeps surfers going back to their sites! So it does them zero good on the competition and business front to let search engine optimizers dictate the layout of their index. They retain relevance by returning relevance to their surfers. Make your site truly relevant to a search phrase, and the SE will notice. And will reward you accordingly. Build your site on fancy SE tricks, and your site will become obsolete once that SE trick does.