Thread: Domain setup/organization

mirepup

Domain setup/organization

Hey all. I've just bought a domain, and hosting and I'm setting up the site's structure now... :construct

It's my first time setting up something like this and I'm wondering if anyone has any hints about organization. I've been reading some articles about it and was wondering about efficient structures.

I had thought to create a folder for each AVS I'm using and create site front ends (mirrors) within there, specific to each AVS. The AVS page would then link to either a middle page or straight to the content page.

All of the content pages would likely be common to all AVS.

Does that make any sense?

If anyone has any advice or links to more articles, I'd appreciate it.

Jeff :worker:

Jeff, that is exactly how you do it, and you should take the root index page and turn it into a hub if you are not using it for anything else. Then on your galleries you can put a link to the main hub page which would advertise all your current galleries. Its great for search engines and makes your site much more appealing to surfers too. Plus you can create a "free" entry page to list your sites on link lists too.

if you need help with any of the specifics of setting this up feel free to ask whatever questions you need...we are all pretty happy to help out.

cheers!

Luke

mirepup
    Originally posted by Chilihost
    Jeff, that is exactly how you do it, and you should take the root index page and turn it into a hub if you are not using it for anything else. Then on your galleries you can put a link to the main hub page which would advertise all your current galleries. Its great for search engines and makes your site much more appealing to surfers too. Plus you can create a "free" entry page to list your sites on link lists too.

if you need help with any of the specifics of setting this up feel free to ask whatever questions you need...we are all pretty happy to help out.

cheers!

Luke
    Thanks Luke, that's exactly what I was planning to do. I really think this board is great. You guys are all so helpful and friendly, I enjoy coming here and seeing what's up...

Anybody start a "What happened at Internext..." thread yet? Or are we following the "what happens in Vegas...." motto...

Xstr8guy
    Here is my structure for AVS sites...

Tour
    domain> site name folder> AVS name folder>
    example: www.gaystuds.com/hot-hunks/mancheck/index.htm
    example: www.gaystuds.com/hot-hunks/cyberage/index.htm
    (not a working site)
    each AVS front end/tour is in it's own folder. My number 1 AVS does not go in an AVS name folder
    example: www.gaystuds.com/hot-hunks/index.htm

Members Area
    domain> "content" folder> site name folder> AVS name folder
    example: http://www.gaystuds.com/content/hot-...heck/index.htm
    example: http://www.gaystuds.com/content/hot-...rage/index.htm
    I do not have 1 members area because most AVS's will not allow you to link back to a generic hub page with multiple AVS's listed. You must have a unique hub page set-up for each AVS. Make sure to link back to your hub page from your members area... you will get a lot of traffic and bookmarkers this way. If you are worried about using too much disc space on your server, you can pull all of the images from 1 folder. All of the different AVS sites will pull images from the /content/hot-hunks/images folder.

Does any of this make sense?

mirepup
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    [B]Here is my structure for AVS sites...

Tour
    domain> site name folder> AVS name folder>
    each AVS front end/tour is in it's own folder. My number 1 AVS does not go in an AVS name folder
    Good point. But as I'm still in startup, #1 is hard to pick. I think I know who it is, but I can't be sure. Do you do this to catch most of the traffic here and promote your "best" AVS?

Members Area
    domain> "content" folder> site name folder> AVS name folder
    example: http://www.gaystuds.com/content/hot-...heck/index.htm
    example: http://www.gaystuds.com/content/hot-...rage/index.htm
    I do not have 1 members area because most AVS's will not allow you to link back to a generic hub page. <snip> All of the different AVS sites will pull images from the /content/hot-hunks/images folder.
    Again, good points about the AVS rules and image folder. Generally speaking, if you have a different tour/front end is exclusive for each AVS, can you use the same content pages if they don't link back to a central hub? But I guess this defeats some of the point since you're losing your own traffic. Hmm.

Jeff

Xstr8guy
    Good point. But as I'm still in startup, #1 is hard to pick. I think I know who it is, but I can't be sure. Do you do this to catch most of the traffic here and promote your "best" AVS?
    Yes, exactly.
    Again, good points about the AVS rules and image folder. Generally speaking, if you have a different tour/front end is exclusive for each AVS, can you use the same content pages if they don't link back to a central hub? But I guess this defeats some of the point since you're losing your own traffic. Hmm.
    Site design and members content areas are not exclusive. Most AVS's don't care if the site looks exactly the same, they just don't want another AVS's sign-up script on the same page. Some AVS's will allow other scripts on the same site/page, but they may not list you on their site list or pay you less per sign-up.