Thread: Color Schemes And Sub Niches....

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Color Schemes And Sub Niches....

Okay im actually in the process of finishing up an article for the GWW directory and actually figured you guys should put some of your feedback into it instead of just me for a change hehe.

So the feedback im after is this...

In the Gay market what color schemes do you find work best for the variety of niches we have available to us.

Do dark colors work best on one type of traffic than another? Does pink work on gay websites? Do you even pay attention tot he colors that you use on your sites?

Let the feedback begin or ill set Xstr8guy on you :leather:

Regards,

Lee

RainGurl
    When i worked for WebSideStory, our orignial gay counter button featured a bare-chested guy, etc. we added a small rainbow flag on it, and the clicks TRIPLED. I think the gay market is definitely more receptive to the look and feel of a site than your typical straight surfer....
    my 2 cents.
    -rainey

I absolutely pay attention to my color schemes ... and whether a surfer realizes it or not, they do take in how a site looks. I'm sure you know there are numerous studies available on the web about colors and how they affect a surfer's mood and response to a site. While certain colors do have "associations" for certain niches, I think a well crafted site can bend the "rules" and still achieve a successful and memorable site. The use of easily recognized niche "tags", like the rainbow flag, or rainbow text or a rainbow bear, etc ... can still be tucked into any site's basic color scheme to set off that "gaydar" alarm bell!

When my new design site goes live, it will have a page of color combinations that work well together, and they're all from the websafe 216 color palette. I'll share the link here when the page is available.

Xstr8guy
    Black... black like my soul

Xstr8guy
    Black text, black background and I don't bother putting pics up... you wouldn't be able to see them anyways... because they are all black, too.

Sells great!:smooch:
    Last edited by Xstr8guy; 01-13-2004 at 09:49 AM.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    Black text, black background and I don't bother putting pics up... you wouldn't be able to see them anyways... because they are all black, too.

LOL Funny fucker :leather:

Regards,

Lee

BLACK definately.

cheers,

Luke

mirepup
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy

"Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it."

"The walls of the swaying cabin were also blac, the ceiling was black, the seats ... were black, the control panel was black, the instruments were black, the little screws that held them in place were black, the thin tufted nylon floor covering was black, and ... the foam underlay was also black."

Anyone? I'm too much of a geek...<sigh>

Ounique
    Originally posted by mirepup
    "Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it."

"The walls of the swaying cabin were also blac, the ceiling was black, the seats ... were black, the control panel was black, the instruments were black, the little screws that held them in place were black, the thin tufted nylon floor covering was black, and ... the foam underlay was also black."

Anyone? I'm too much of a geek...<sigh>
    Mirepup, been hitchhiking through the galaxy again? LOL!

This is from the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by the late great Douglas Adams. I don't remember the name of the rock band who's ship this was, though. Was it Disaster Area? My favorite bit was the one where Arthur hits a little button that says "Do not press this button" and a little sign lights up saying "Please do not press this button again"

mirepup
    Originally posted by Ounique
    Mirepup, been hitchhiking through the galaxy again? LOL!
    I think the saddest part is that it took me less than 5 minutes to find it.

Love these books. Love the radio show. Thought the (Brit) TV show was funny...

Douglas Adams...RIP :angel:

we do really well with blues usually combined with white. it can be a white background with blue text and tables or a white background with the graphics all in blues. but it does seem to do well for us - thanks for making me look at my stats and figure this out!

in straight traffic, black backgrounds usually do better for us. go figure!

Ounique
    Hmmmm, blue you say? Like the lovely blue of this message board? Is that why I always feel so good coming here?

i would have thought it was the company, too