Thread: Everybody Does Raymond

Marc1

Everybody Does Raymond

You think I could get sued for using a name like that?
    Or is that a fair parody and I'd be protected?
    I dont want to invest time into something only to get a C&D.

Mansized1
    Quote:

Did Playboy sue Playgirl when it started? no
    Did Home Box Office sue the website HomoBoxOffice.tv? No

I think you'll be fine.

GaryAlan1
    Quote:

Hey Marc!

As long as you're not going to have a cartoon or image of Ray Romano taking it up the butt, you shouldn't have a problem. But I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not going to pretend to be one. This is ONLY my opinion. Personally, paradoy sites aren't apart of my business plan

What it comes down to is the company who owns the rights, some decide not to make an issue, some do.

Lee and I opened a site recently dedicated to a popular home game console... since the company behind it is notorious for suing we contacted them as fans, told what we were doing and signed up for their affiliate program. They were completely happy with that. Now this isn't an adult site example, but more an example of the decision. We decided that it would be in our best interest to approach THEM just in case.

BTW, Playboy may not have sued Playgirl, but they sure as shit sued Terry Wells when she used the word Playmate on her site and in her meta tags. After a long court battle Terry won since she WAS a playmate for them and could prove it. So it all depends on the mood of a company and the owner of the rights.

My two cents...

Gary-Alan
    Quote:

Hey Marc!

As long as you're not going to have a cartoon or image of Ray Romano taking it up the butt, you shouldn't have a problem. But I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not going to pretend to be one. This is ONLY my opinion. Personally, paradoy sites aren't apart of my business plan

What it comes down to is the company who owns the rights, some decide not to make an issue, some do.

Lee and I opened a site recently dedicated to a popular home game console... since the company behind it is notorious for suing we contacted them as fans, told what we were doing and signed up for their affiliate program. They were completely happy with that. Now this isn't an adult site example, but more an example of the decision. We decided that it would be in our best interest to approach THEM just in case.

BTW, Playboy may not have sued Playgirl, but they sure as shit sued Terry Wells when she used the word Playmate on her site and in her meta tags. After a long court battle Terry won since she WAS a playmate for them and could prove it. So it all depends on the mood of a company and the owner of the rights.

My two cents...

Gary-Alan

twinkley1
    Also... another thing to consider.

Its almost impossible to sue over the use of a popular proper name (ie: Raymond) because soooo many people have that name! Anyone named Raymond then could sue for the use of their name and that would just be a mess....

As long as you arent using a likeness of Ray Ramano (or that specific name) you should be okay.

twinkley

Pillow Talk with ME every friday at 3pm eastern @ http://www.theadultwebmaster.com/chat