So, you decided to resolve to cut back on the caffeine in 2004. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea.

A new study has found that drinking more coffee may reduce the risk of developing the most common form of diabetes.

Compared to non-coffee drinkers, men who drank more than six eight-ounce cups of caffeinated coffee per day lowered their risk of type 2 diabetes by about half, and women reduced their risk by nearly 30 percent, according to the study by the Harvard School of Public Health.

Type 2 diabetes, formerly called adult-onset diabetes, typically shows up in middle-aged people. The disease is on the rise and is striking more and more young people as Americans become fatter and less active.

People with type 2 diabetes either do not make enough insulin or their bodies don't use it properly. It leads to higher blood sugar levels, which over time can cause blindness, heart disease, kidney failure and nerve damage and can lead to amputations.

Caffeine has previously been found to reduce insulin sensitivity and raise blood sugar - both bad news for the body. But the researchers note that coffee, whether it is regular or decaffeinated, also contains potassium, magnesium and antioxidants that might counteract those negative effects and improve the body's response to insulin.

http://www.365gay.com/health/lesbian...lesbhealth.htm

---------------------------

Just thought I would share this since I am diabetic myself and a good discussion may be in order since I am sure that others either have it or know someone who does.