Thread: So, Would You?

So, Would You?

When gay marriage is legalized (mind you I didn't say IF!) ...

Would You!?? ...Say "I do"

Scorpio
    I wouldn't. I just don't believe in that God so the word "marriage" is pointless to me... but i'm up for any union act.

But i would support all my friends who would want to tie the knot.

jonjayw
    Originally posted by Scorpio
    I wouldn't. I just don't believe in that God so the word "marriage" is pointless to me... but i'm up for any union act.
    And there's the rub. Marriage does not equal God. A religious marriage involves the 'god' the parties believe in. Civil marriage is that status awarded by a state government and recognized by the federal government -- and it requires NO religious involvement. You are falling into the same trap as the wild eyed religious fanatics saying marriage is only one, religious, act.

What is being asked for is the equal right to civil marriage so that all the state and federal legal rights that status grants can be achieved. Not one spokesman for any GLBT, or GLBT friendly, group I know of has said that they want to force any religious group to perform or recognize a ceremony joining two same-sex individuals. Some religious groups already do -- but such ceremonies are not recognized as civil marriages by any state. They should be.

Civil union -- partnership registry -- anything other than the right to a civil marriage is separate but equal treatment and confirms a second class status. In fact, only a civil marriage would have to be recognized by other states. Why do you think there's such a fuss over what the Mass. Supreme Court has ruled. They are addressing the rights to a civil marriage NOT the rights to a religious ceremony.
    Last edited by jonjayw; 02-06-2004 at 12:35 PM.

Scorpio
    Hi Jay Jay,

Thank you for your time. I guess i fell into the trap because everywhere i hear talking about that subject, God is in the discussion. Better send an email to that religious freak we have as president and tell him the difference, i think he didn't get it either.

Jasun
    We actually CAN get married here in Canada, now. And although there's been hundreds of gay couples married, I don't actually know anybody who's done it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I've gone on about this endlessly for quite a while. I won't bore you with may many anti-marriage reasons, but it's funny how even though we've got legal gay weddings here in Canada, there's really not nearly as many as you'd think taking place.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    When I really think about it, personally, I know I do not need a marriage certificate to represent the love, honor and cherish aspects of a union. Lee and I have that now. I’ve already promised myself to Lee in private, between the two of us. We live; we share, laugh and fight just like anyone I know who has been legally married for years.

There are two aspects that do entice me, though.

First are the legal aspects – the recognition of my partner in shared interests, medical rights, survivor benefits, medical benefits and the like. While I can have my lawyer draw up contracts and documents to accomplish this (and it is on the list of things to do), a legal marriage certificate would do most of that the moment it is signed.

Second thing that entices me is simply having the right to marry (actually this may be the first thing that entices me). It comes down to shear equality. Whether I would get married or would not get married isn’t even a factor here. It’s just having the right to one day decide that we want to go to city hall, marry and have the exact same legal rights as other people that do this. That is more important to me than anything else.

I am a romantic. There is no doubt about that. LOL But in all honesty, the only reason I would do it for the romance is if Lee wanted to. I have asked him to marry me. Now let’s see if we can get there legally. Until then, we’re together with or without state recognition.

My best,
    Gary-Alan

Jasun
    Hey, why don't you guys come get married up here? There's been lots of Americans who came up here just for that reason.

I'll even sing... er... um... juggle... or.... promise to keep totally quiet and not get up out my chair, which will be nailed to the floor at the back of the room, so long as i can reach the bar from where I am.

Hows that?

the only reason I would ever consider a marriage is to get all the presents, but honestly imho I think marriage is a chick thing, I reckon that if you ask married guys, most of them would not really care if they were married or just living with their partner.

cheers,

Luke

Turbo
    Below is a very well-worded email from a former co-worker and good friend of mine that she sent to everyone she knows. I think she really nailed why this issue should be important to all Americans.

Ryan

-------
    I'm sending you all this link because I believe we have reached a critical time in our nation's history. As most of you know, the Massachusetts Supreme Court has said that the state must allow gay marriages under the state constitution. On February 11, next Wednesday, there will be a vote by the state's legislators on whether to amend the constitution to ban same-sex marriage.

Now I know that some of you don't agree with the idea of gay marriage. But this is beyond that. This is moving to amend the constitution to discriminate against a group of people. Not to define rights as has been the case for all other amendments (except prohibition which failed), but to deny rights. This is not what our country is about. If you doubt the impact, look at the news and see what Ohio has just done. Passed one of the most restrictive laws in the country, denying not just same-sex marriage, but anything close to it, including domestic partner benefits.

The link below is to a group fighting to stop the amendment. If you have friends or family in Massachusetts, I urge you to forward this to them, and ask them to contact their representatives. For those of us outside the state, we can give money to help the fight. Even if you do nothing else, but read this email, you will have learned how important this is to someone you know.

http://www.massequality.org/

I have included people on this list that I would never normally send something like this to. People that I know don't share my politics. But I am hoping you do all share my belief that this country is about giving freedoms and not taking them away.

Thanks for listening.
    -------

FatherBill

Re: So, Would You?

Originally posted by LdyLnWolf1
    When gay marriage is legalized (mind you I didn't say IF!) ...

Would You!?? ...Say "I do"
    I think my wife would be a little pissed at me if I did.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Re: Re: So, Would You?

Originally posted by FatherBill
    I think my wife would be a little pissed at me if I did.
    LMAO Sorry that just made me spit coffee all over my monitor LOL

Regards,

Lee