Thread: Help with .css

Xstr8guy

Help with .css

Can someone take a look at this site for me?

http://www.cockring.tv/will/index.htm

I'm using .css to lock down the text sizes because I hate it when surfers ruin the look of my sites with browsers set to "large" text.

It looks fine on my computers even when text is set to "large" in IE. But Will (the site's subject) took some screen caps and it showed huge text and stretched table/cell backgrounds.

I've only recently started using style sheets. Am I missing something here?

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Hey X!

It looks fine for me... I set my text to 'Large' then 'Largest' settings, each is ok from here. I even played with my resolution settings and fonts - it still looks fine for me.

The only thing I did notice was on the video page and souvenirs page the table cells for the items expanded a hair when I moved the sizes up. But it was so minute that it's really not noticeable, only when you change the setting at the same time as viewing the pages.

Hope this helps.

My best,
    GA

Ya know... now that I think of it, is Will using IE? If it's a different, or older, browser sometimes css doesn't always work.

When I would code stylesheets then viewed the pages in an older version of Netscape (4.6 or something like that), some of it was lost.

I dunno... ya might want to check that out too, dude.

My best,
    GA

Xstr8guy
    Thanks G-A!

The problem occurs with a higher monitor dpi (120 as opposed to 96). .css won't do anything to help this, right?

Also, Netscape and Firebird seem to ignore my .css. Is there something I can do about that?

Xstr8guy
    Oh... you were posting the same time as me!

I have newer versions of Netscape and Firebird and when you change the text size, both programs ignore the .css.

Hey man!

When you're talking windows config settings (90 to 120 dpi) then there is nothing I know that can be done. You're talking hard drive computer files then.

As for Netscape and Firebird, that's what I thought was going to happen Offhand I don't know, but I'm going to run through my css info and links to see what I can find.

My best,
    GA

Xstr8guy
    Thanks a shitload G-A... really 'preciate your help!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    I have newer versions of Netscape and Firebird and when you change the text size, both programs ignore the .css.
    Netscape has a known problem with some .css styles they havent quite caught up to the rest of the web yet

Whilst we are on the topic of CSS though, if anyone is wondering what we are all talking about you can find an article about Cascading Style Sheets at the following url:

http://www.gaywidewebmasters.com/art...e-sheets.shtml

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    I gotta tell ya... If you aren't using style sheets, your wasting a lot of time and compromising your web site designs. I can't believe I just started using .css... I was afraid to learn something new... and man, what a time saver!

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    netscape is officially abandoned and not developed anymore.

Mozilla 1.6 and FireFox 0.8 are the two browsers that are currently developed by Mozilla teams. With Mozilla 1.6 getting replaced by FireFox 1.0 by the middle of this year.

Now for the CSS.

looking at your stylesheet your fonts are in points (pt), the way i understand it to lock the font size you have to have the fonts in pixels (px).
    Also i've read that Mozilla and other userfriendly browsers may not allow you to lock the fontsize