Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay SE Traffic

Xstr8guy1

Gay SE Traffic

Is gay search engine traffic worth a crap?
    I'm starting to get some good rankings on what I would think are good keywords/combos for some of my AVS sites. With these, I getting very minimal traffic from google/yahoo... less than a dozen hits a day to none! Is it just the first page listings that get major traffic? Do gay surfers not use the SE's like straight surfers?

Lee1
    dont think this is an issue for just the Gay Niche.

I think the issue is that to many webmasters are targeting the high (in theory) traffic keywords i.e, gay, twink, bear, cubs, etc etc etc.

What we have found with our SE traffic (and we have tested this thoroghly) is that by targetting the top level keywords traffic actually FALLS dramatically.

We also noticed that by going down two or three keyword levels by this i mean...

If you have a site for Bears which, i presume you have at least one of

Your choice keywords may be..

Gay Hairy Men Bears

You should break this down a little so the four keywords above become...

Gay
    Gay Hairy
    Hairy Men
    Men Bears

Then You Have..

Gay Hairy Men
    Hairy Men Bears

And again...

Gay Hairy Men Bears

Each time ommiting the ',' between keywords in your meta tags to target the actual phrases rather than individual words.

Hope this helps some.

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy1
    Thanks Lee!
    The keyword combos are exactly where I'm getting the good SE ranks. However, they are not translating to a lot of clicks. For example, I have the number 2 google spot for "hairy men movies" and this is getting me less than 10 clicks a day from google/yahoo/aol. Is this normal? I would think I should be getting more clicks than that.

chilihost1
    search engine traffic for gay keywords is great for me....but I also get a lot of signups on other traffic sources too.

I think there are two types of gay traffic, the first time looker which is mostly search engine, plus the long time surfer which is mostly tgp/linklist/etc traffic. But both convert equally as well for me at least.

Good luck!

Luke

sweetums1
    Lee's suggestions are really very good. If you're managing to rank in good spots on the first page of an SE, but aren't getting many clicks then you may also want to play with the way you've built your titles and descriptions. Experiment with some different variations and see if that produces any positive results. In general, SE traffic can be quite lucrative since the surfers are qualifying themselves, but it can be a little tricker to find the right formula for your site. Just my $0.02....

www.trafficdude.com
    www.dialerdude.com

I've had #1 for "gay start page" for a while now but it's not translating into traffic....:poorly:

BDBionic
    Never forget that when it comes to SE traffic, quality is what counts.

Traffic alone from keyword placement shouldn't be the only judge of performance. If you have high quality keywords with which users are sure to find your site more relevent to what they're looking for, that could be more valuable than big traffic numbers.

Some of the sites I've worked with see on certain keywords only 15-20 users a day but with 25-30% conversion with those users. Not a bad deal! So though the keyword itself isn't something searched for a whole helluva lot, it's particular and specific enough that when a users does enter that query, they're finding exactly what they're looking for.

Originally posted by BDBionic
    Never forget that when it comes to SE traffic, quality is what counts.

Traffic alone from keyword placement shouldn't be the only judge of performance. If you have high quality keywords with which users are sure to find your site more relevent to what they're looking for, that could be more valuable than big traffic numbers.

Some of the sites I've worked with see on certain keywords only 15-20 users a day but with 25-30% conversion with those users. Not a bad deal! So though the keyword itself isn't something searched for a whole helluva lot, it's particular and specific enough that when a users does enter that query, they're finding exactly what they're looking for.
    LOL, that's exactly my problem, those who make it to my sites obviously find what they are looking for according to my stats... on my AVS site normally about 1 in 10 or 12 that hit my SexKey page sign up.... it's just only about a dozen are hitting the page per period. The people who do hit my start page (a free site) are bookmarking it, it's just I have almost no traffic to it. Also what doesn't help is that my AVS page that used to be #1 for it's unique target keywords was completely dropped from the list of 45,000 sites that come up for them now during the last crawl. A page using almost my same (gay) title has #1 and it is a single straight gallery using sponsor content that triggers a straight pop-up hell and has nothing gay at all on the page but the title. Little hard to compete when my pages that have been in Google for several years are being replaced by CJ sites that lie about their content and Google's script somehow thinks they are what the surfer wants.

BDBionic
    That is kinda a bummer about gettin' dropped by Google like that in favor of some crap site.

It must be the case that whatever that site is that has the ranking irrelevant to content is the target of some friendly links. A good number of friendly links. Especially with Google, actual content of a page/site itself won't do for you as much as the sites that link to you.

Google's index has been undergoing some significant change as of late so it'll be interesting to see how the dust has settled when they've sorted their index out. Thankfully, they change their index often enough that although it's still a lot easier to go down than it is to go up, you can effect some vertical movement to get some good placement back.

Try and get some HTML links to your site out there.

That is kinda a bummer about gettin' dropped by Google like that in favor of some crap site.

It must be the case that whatever that site is that has the ranking irrelevant to content is the target of some friendly links. A good number of friendly links. Especially with Google, actual content of a page/site itself won't do for you as much as the sites that link to you.

Google's index has been undergoing some significant change as of late so it'll be interesting to see how the dust has settled when they've sorted their index out. Thankfully, they change their index often enough that although it's still a lot easier to go down than it is to go up, you can effect some vertical movement to get some good placement back.

If that site was linked to anything it was probably it's own 2000 sister domains of CJ sites I've got a few links out there for the page in this situation and although it quickly fell from #1 for the keywords to being no longer available in the 45,000 pages Google says matches the keywords it does appear in the descriptions of various other sites that have linked me; however, if I use the Google tool to check backlinks it says I have none, go figure. It's so frustrating. I am spending hours a day updating sites that people compliment but no one sees anymore because the cons have won Google.

That is the key to good placement on google. And if someone else hijacked your keyword with your techniques, then why don't you do it right back to them. Get out there and build 2001 sister domains and CJ them so the surfers all end up back at your original site.

I know its a pain but its all a big game and if someone starts beating you, you have to turn around and fight back for your traffic.

Cheers,

Luke

Originally posted by Chilihost
    That is the key to good placement on google. And if someone else hijacked your keyword with your techniques, then why don't you do it right back to them. Get out there and build 2001 sister domains and CJ them so the surfers all end up back at your original site.

I know its a pain but its all a big game and if someone starts beating you, you have to turn around and fight back for your traffic.

Cheers,

Luke
    That's all fine and good, but the big thing is *not* that another site is doing well with the search phrase but my site no longer comes up in the search for those words at all, even though the index page itself uses them several times (the site I was referring to that's #1 only has the words in the deceptive page title). I have been linking my domains together for several years, it's just after the last crawl I can now only find the site by searching for it's exact title and Google is not acknowleging it's backlinks even though my site's name is showing up in their descriptions for the same search phrase. After being #1 for a search phrase for a year or so it's awfully strange to just suddenly vanish.

BDBionic
    Mardisgras... out of curiosity, you're not hosted with GoDaddy are you?

No, part of my hosting is with DirectNic and the other is with HooHost.

BDBionic
    Is your listing on the index cached or not? And have you noticed a change in pagerank?
    To be honest, Google's index has been all over the map lately. I know tons of people who've been dropped out of the index entirely or can't for the life of them find themselves in the directory i.e. are possibly so far back in the listings with any given query that they might as well not even be in it.
    Until things kind of sort themselves out at Google during their current update phase, I think anyone would be hardpressed to really know what's up over there. =/