Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BadPuppy?

Quote Originally Posted by _ap_
    Another way to think of it is in terms of time spent on a site. To keep a user entertained for a full month, thats roughly 10 visits X 20 minutes per visit = 200 minutes. On a broadband connection, assuming the user doesn't look at the entire set, they can blast through about 1-2MB of on disk content per minute. A photoset is about 2-8MB, so thats ~1 photoset every couple minutes, times 200 minutes per month = content burn rate of 200 photosets / month. Bigger files slows them down. Fresh stuff that nobody else has makes a difference because they jizz faster Video clips are even cooler because they take up more time and burn out slower so you need less.

You can run a hobby paysite on less, but if you want to make some real cash when you look at the size of your members section, it needs to say gigabytes. lots of gigabytes.

Hope that helps :teach:

ap.
    Some very good insightful info! Thanks for putting that out there - it does help in figuring out just what it really does take volume wise to retain!

Bell
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa
    - - - - - edited - - - - -Hi All;
    Bell, I've uploaded a head shot as my avatar so you can confirm if we've met before! It's not the greatest picture, but one that I could come up with quickly.
    Have a great day everyone and many thanks for your support!

yes... you do look familiar to me... but I don't think we actually met...
    thanks for sharing your picture though : )

~Bell

_ap_
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec
    Some very good insightful info! Thanks for putting that out there - it does help in figuring out just what it really does take volume wise to retain!
    No worries!

What I haven't figured out is why the change. Once upon a time users would signup and blow a load then forget about their sub for 3 months while we billed the crap out of them.

What changed? :notsure:

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by _ap_
    Just to add to Lisa's comments on the amount of content, you can't realistically charge 24.95 for less than 100 sets. Just for photos alone, we've got about 500 sets with another 200 going up this week and I still think we need more. We are running a $40/signup program, so we have to average 2 full months out of every subscriber to make a profit.

We've got a theory here that the number of months subscriptions will last for is function of the volume of content in megabytes and the age of the files in seconds.

Another way to think of it is in terms of time spent on a site. To keep a user entertained for a full month, thats roughly 10 visits X 20 minutes per visit = 200 minutes. On a broadband connection, assuming the user doesn't look at the entire set, they can blast through about 1-2MB of on disk content per minute. A photoset is about 2-8MB, so thats ~1 photoset every couple minutes, times 200 minutes per month = content burn rate of 200 photosets / month. Bigger files slows them down. Fresh stuff that nobody else has makes a difference because they jizz faster Video clips are even cooler because they take up more time and burn out slower so you need less.

You can run a hobby paysite on less, but if you want to make some real cash when you look at the size of your members section, it needs to say gigabytes. lots of gigabytes.

Hope that helps :teach:

ap.
    That's all fine and dandy if you are running a twink paysite. You would have access to 10,000+ different photosets. But if you want to do a badpuppy site in a more limited (less popular) niche, than much, much less is needed to keep a member. I have joined bear sites with less than 100 exclusive photo sets/movies and stayed around for a few months

And remember, this is for a badpuppy site... members are going to get a hell of a lot more from badpuppy and the other sites that it features.

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    And remember, this is for a badpuppy site... members are going to get a hell of a lot more from badpuppy and the other sites that it features.
    That's why doing a site on bp is great, it's an easyer sale plus there is always something for your members to see, or do.

Madame0120

Big Grin

[QUOTE=lisa]Hi All;

Any of you are welcome to email me anytime. I am still playing catch up from my vacation, but should be able to get back to you fairly quickly./QUOTE]

To heck with all the business!
    How was vacation?

See you in Phoenix!