Thread: The Hard Sell - Sales Pitch Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    GLBTcity

Corporate Sales

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    lee - i may not be the average customer, but guitar center has implemented those questions you're talking about. it irritates the hell out of me - freaks me out, too.

it used to be when i wanted to buy something, i'd go find someone. other than that, they'd ask me if i wanted help and i'd say no. now they introduce themselves and try and ask me those questions, and it really really pisses me off. in fact, on several occasions, it sent me to buy what i was already looking at at sam ash - where no one bothered me with questions.
    Hi basschick and Lee,

First, Lee, my background is in sales and customer service. So yes, your statement/explanation above is true. Two of my largest accounts were "The National Lucemia Society" and "The Salvation Army".

Second, basschick, I couldn't agree more with you. I feel the same way when a salesman/women approaches me in a store. My initial feeling is to tell them "get the f*ck away from me if you want me to buy anything at all".

Although I was a Lead Consultant and the Senior Accounts Representative and very successful in the Corporate Sales, I retired in 1996.

In defense of the "salesman", I will say it's not for everyone and not everyone has what it takes to be successful in sales. Those that are successful, are generally in the 6 digit income bracket. It's a good career choice "IF" you're cut out for it.

Keeping in mind that I didn't like how most sales people approached me in stores, I developed a different technique (style) that was far less intimidating to the customer. This technique is what I taught and made me successful in sales.

The approach that Lee described is fact though and most commonly taught. However, I HATE IT myself when used on me as a customer.

PapaBear
    Last edited by GLBTcity; 06-11-2005 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Misspelling