Thread: Tom Hymes - FSC Injunction Doesnt Protect You

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? Tom Hymes - FSC Injunction Doesnt Protect You

Taken from Toms post on GFY yesterday afternoon:

Good afternoon, GFY! I'm postingf or the first time, so....

There were a few long threads late last week about the Free Speech Coalition and 2257, to which I would have posted if I hadn’t been in very long meetings and then at home with the cable down, a holiday gift from Adelphia. My loss, but Connor Young more than held his own, and I doubt I could have improved upon his comments.

However… let me add a few thoughts of my own before I officially start tomorrow.

First, I am very excited to be jumping into the much-needed position of Communications Director, working for a great new Executive Director and a dedicated and talented Board, which also with some new members. I have so much to do it’s almost overwhelming, but I am optimistic about what we can achieve, and look forward to getting started.

My first official request is to implore those of you are so inclined to hit me up and let me know what you think the FSC can and should do to ensure the survival of this industry, and how you would like to help. While I begin work with a full slate of immediate and long-term goals, I think it’s important that anyone, especially on the Internet side, who has something constructive to add, take the time to communicate with its most effective and organized trade organization, and why not through me?

If you don’t have my numbers, please hit me up at tom@freespeechcoalition.com or pr@freespeechcoalition.com, or call the offices at 818-348-9373. Office Manager Neva Chevalier (neva@freespeechcoalition.com) handles official volunteer coordination, but I am very interested in hearing what you have to say, and will respond with ICQ, AIM and cell numbers galore to everyone except unhelpful flamers. (I especially request KB to get in touch with me, as I envision him helping in great ways.)

Second, as a brief but important aside, I hope it’s clear that the FSC is not the enemy; the creators of these new regulations, and certainly the regs themselves, are. It is they, not we, that have brought us to a point where armed agents of Homeland Security, wielding the 2257 regs in one hand and a copy of the Patriot Act in the other, could very likely be making some extremely intimidating visits to adult companies within a month. So the question is, do you feel lucky, punk, or do you want to do something about it?

No matter what other legal challenges are undertaken, I obviously think it’s important for everyone to support the Free Speech Coalition, in the long term and short term, by especially by supporting what will be a significant and multi-pronged legal challenge by experienced lawyers who have won before, and I expect that over time everyone will step up and do just that.

It’s important, because:

- A full-frontal assault like these regs, so arrogant in their unconstitutional hostility to our fundamental rights, and so impossible to comply with, demands your attention!

- The selfless members of Board of the FSC, who receive no compensation for the significant time they spend working on your behalf, deserve your support!

- The brilliant attorneys who are already hard at work preparing challenges to these regulations - for a fraction of what they could make in private practice - absolutely warrant everyone’s gratitude and support!

As a last matter, no one from the FSC has said or meant to suggest that someone should become a member of the FSC in order to be protected under an injunction that does not even exist. While it is a fact that under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure only parties to litigation are covered by an injunction, it has also been amply explained by now that while technical limitations apply, the practical result of some injunctions is that no one is prosecuted while the injunction is in effect, as has happened with COPA.

At any rate, the FSC press release of May 25, 2005 makes clear that “being a member of the Free Speech Coalition does not mean that compliance is unnecessary. Every producer of actually sexually explicit conduct is covered by the existing regulations and the new regulations (which take effect June 23, 2005).”

In short, there are a hundred great reasons to become a member of FSC, but impermanent and impossible to define protections that may never materialize is not one of them.

Peace, and see you on the battle lines,

Tom Hymes
    Communications Director
    Free Speech Coalition
    pr@freespeechcoalition.com
    Pay particular attention to the bolded parts of his post, they are the most telling points in it presently.

Here is the direct thread link on GFY too: http://www.gofuckyourself.com/showthread.php?t=474794

Regards,

Lee

JustBryce
    It is true that an injunction may protect even those who are not members, but as a matter of course... if you have a few nickles to spare I'd urge others to also support the FSC with a donation or membership. At this point, who even knows for sure if the injunction will be granted, but the more artillery that can be gathered the better, imho.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBryce
    It is true that an injunction may protect even those who are not members, but as a matter of course... if you have a few nickles to spare I'd urge others to also support the FSC with a donation or membership. At this point, who even knows for sure if the injunction will be granted, but the more artillery that can be gathered the better, imho.
    Agreed.

However, i cant help but think that $50, $300, $500 couldnt be better spent by making sure you are compliant come the 23rd June.

Realistically, its only going to cost a couple of hundred bucks to have someone write a database system thatll contain all the required information so far as these new 2257 regs go.

Just seems to make more sense to me, by doing that than edging your bets on whether or not the FSC gets granted an injunction that may not even protect you after it is has been granted.

Regards,

Lee

JustBryce
    If I understand correctly, FSC is filing for the injunction so all of its members will be party to the litigation. Hopefully, the umbrella will cover everyone, but as a safety... we joined. That doesn't mean that we aren't taking every step necessary to be sure we are sitting pretty on 6/23. But, I like to cover "all" the bases just in case