Thread: Valuing a domain name

Top Cat

Valuing a domain name

Looks like another website in the same niche as mine is looking to sell their domain name (and their "public domain" content...LOL). Have no idea how to figure the value of the site and would appreciate some help:

-When I got to Alexa it pulls up another domain name...not sure what that means (their ranking is lousy and they hae a PR 2)

-Can I request traffic info from the seller?

-The site is not in the Yahoo Directory or DMOZ and hardly makes a dent in the search engines

Yeah so not even sure why I really want it! But I do think there's some value from existing bookmarks, and traffic through a popular Yahoo group of the same name.

Thoughts?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You can ask for whatever info from the seller you like, he will either provide you the info or not, depending on how much he wants to sell the domain.

Ultimately, a domain itself, even a PR2 domain, isnt worth to much IMHO unless it is getting astronomical amounts of traffic.

Regards,

Lee

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    i guess it comes down to ..."what's it worth to you?"...

www.br*tneyspears.com $ 4.63 U.S.D + $ 3.00 U.S.D (whois-privacy )

www.t*tanmedia.com $ 17.2 million E.U.D ( i of course would want the whole company!

sincerely ~ ..."how do your plans go for world domination?" - belle stars

Dzinerbear
    But also consider this: Google's aging filter makes it difficult to launch a new site. The aging filter will sandbox or quarantine a new site for a number of months, I've heard anything from five to nine. So that means that until Google finally releases your site into the general index, you'll get no search engine traffic unless you buy it.

So, while a PR2 isn't great, it's not bad really, you need a lot of history and links to move into the PR4 and above range. And if you're buying a site with a PR2, then it's already in the index. And you say that it's showing in Google isn't great, but with some massaging it could be and at least you won't have to wait out the quarantine period.

Finally, if this is the niche of yours that I'm thinking of, your existing sites are already at a PR3, so linking them to the PR2 site will like jump it up to a PR3 in a relatively short period of time.

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about DMOZ. Yes, SEO experts say it's important to get in there. I've been trying for two years and I gave up. It still didn't prevent me from capturing all the number one's I wanted.

Cheers
    dzinerbear

GLBTcity

Alexa

Geez, I really wish I hadn't deleted an article I had on Alexa and how their ratings are really obscured.

Alexa is great for B2B basically, but not B2C sites is basically what the article was saying. Also, that the majority of the Top 10 sites were Search Engines according to their ratings. BUT, 3 of the sites contained blogs.

I know it's nice to see the numbers for our website's, but I can say that by looking at our stats report and looking at their report, they vary substantially.

PB