Thread: The Knock On Effects Of 2257?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

The Knock On Effects Of 2257?

Just curious to see what you folks think the knock-on effects of these new 2257 regs will be so far as non-webmasters go?

I know hosting companies are excempt from the requirements however, i cant help but think these new regulations are going to effect their businesses to epsecially, if webmasters start leaving the industry or start taking their site hosting to off-shore hosts.

Also, traffic brokers, i would imagine, are going to be hit hard by these new regs, especially places like Choker who rely on thumbs to generate clicks.

Then we have content providers themselves, im pretty sure the amount of sales they see over the coming weeks is going to drop dramatically to, especially the larger image providers not to mention, the plug in feed providers.

On the flip side of the coin though, im also sure this is going to mean big business for attorneys and those companies pushing 2257 compliancy applications.

I think its definately going to be a bumpy ride for the industry certainly over the next few weeks / months as we come to grasp with these new regulations but, im just as positive that after that minute (on the grand scale of things) timeframe we'll get back to functioning 'normally'.

Your thoughts on what other types of industry service are going to be hit hard by these regs?

Regards,

Lee

I don't know about other business - I just know I'm one tired camper from trying to "cleanup" and I don't have near the volume of sites or content that many of you do.

Oh, while I'm here - any of you fellas that I did sites for - I need to find you and get ID's (hopefully) - otherwise I gotta start figuring out how to own a design firm that can't show any samples.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You know Bec i never even thought about how much this is going to effect designers but, you are right, its going to make things very hard for you guys

I guess if you dont get the ids from webmasters who you work for you could always just link direct to the url of the site you designed?

Actually, ive never understood why more designers dont do that anyway rather than having the preview link to their own server.

Regards,

Lee

GLBTcity

Biz, Design & Bec

Hi Lee & Bec,

I'm short on time, so I'm taking advantage of this post

Bec, on the shopping cart issue that you're looking at Ecommerce Templates. We bought the basic code and getting a couple plug-ins that are available.

The basic code is the "Design Your Own" on their site. It's $105 and the plugin's we're getting are $25 each. I've talked with Andy directly in NY with them. He's from England and really great to talk to. Very informative, very helpful. Go for it IMO.

Lee, when you think about it, it's shocking to see how far down the pipeline this is going to effect.

At this point, I'm not sure if I should use the word "fortunately" or "unfortunately" in our case being that we are the designer, the hosting company (ISP) and the Adult Biz.

As you said, we're just going to have to wait this out and see what happens when the dust settles.

PapaBear

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    You know Bec i never even thought about how much this is going to effect designers but, you are right, its going to make things very hard for you guys

I guess if you dont get the ids from webmasters who you work for you could always just link direct to the url of the site you designed?

Actually, ive never understood why more designers dont do that anyway rather than having the preview link to their own server.

Regards,

Lee
    Because if a site goes offline - I have nothing to show for the work I did for one reason, and another is when people go in and totally change around components to something else entirely, or go and get a site redesigned after a year or so. For now, I may resort to that method on designs that have hardcore in the tour.

Have I mentioned this all really suxs? :cry:

On the hosting front, I have had a few small accounts close but on the other hand I have also had HUGE interest in our offshore solution now that it is fully operating.

On the affiliate front, I can see that a number of my competitors are now closing or shutting down their affiliate programs which once again is good news cuz hunkmoney is not going anywhere.

Overall, the knockon effects have been thumbs up for me!

cheers,
    Luke

GLBTcity

Offshore Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    On the hosting front, I have had a few small accounts close but on the other hand I have also had HUGE interest in our offshore solution now that it is fully operating.

On the affiliate front, I can see that a number of my competitors are now closing or shutting down their affiliate programs which once again is good news cuz hunkmoney is not going anywhere.

Overall, the knockon effects have been thumbs up for me!

cheers,
    Luke
    Huge interest Chili? I for one would entertain the idea of paying another hosting provider to host our sites, but unfortunately, as I understand it, since I'm a US Citizen, I would still be responsible for filing all the records regardless of where the site is hosted. Did I miss something?

PapaBear

I'm assuming those wanting off shore hosting are also setting up an offshore business identity Doug, and want the full package to look like they're located somewhere besides the US.

GLBTcity

Won't Cut the Mustard

Quote Originally Posted by Bec
    I'm assuming those wanting off shore hosting are also setting up an offshore business identity Doug, and want the full package to look like they're located somewhere besides the US.
    Unfortunately, that won't cut the mustard from what I understand Bec. If you're a US Citizen you're still responsible to keep records. At least that's what I'm understanding.

PB

Quote Originally Posted by GLBTcity
    Huge interest Chili? I for one would entertain the idea of paying another hosting provider to host our sites, but unfortunately, as I understand it, since I'm a US Citizen, I would still be responsible for filing all the records regardless of where the site is hosted. Did I miss something?

PapaBear
    Yes, I am getting a lot of non-US webmasters who have everything but their hosting located outside of the US so they are moving their hosting as a final precaution and to help them sleep at night.

For your circumstances, if your primary business location is in the USA then you have to comply or move to another country.

cheers,
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Bec
    I am not saying that US-webmasters are hiding by setting up an offshore business identity, nor am I saying that this is a solution that will work. If you are contemplating doing something like this I would strongly suggest getting legal advice first.

cheers,
    Luke