Thread: Christian Group Calls Off 'Unkown' Gay Days Boycott

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Big Grin Christian Group Calls Off 'Unkown' Gay Days Boycott

A major Christian conservative organisation has called off its nine-year boycott of the Walt Disney Company, citing "positive signs" that the company had moved away from its "arrogance" and "embrace of the homosexual lifestyle".

"The boycott of Disney is now a matter of personal conviction, rather than a matter of [American Family Association] ministry emphasis," Tim Wildmon, AFA president, said in a statement posted on the group's Web site.

The move comes nearly one week before the 15th anniversary celebration of Gay Day at Disney World in Florida, USA. The AFA cited the annual theme park party as one of the reasons for initiating the boycott in 1996, and the event remains a "troubling stain on the Mouse House", according to the AFA's site.

Other reasons for the boycott included Disney's policy of domestic partner benefits for gay employees, as well as violent and sexy movies from the company's Miramax subsidiary.

Wildmon claims that Disney has shown strides since 2001 in becoming more family-friendly among Christians, resulting in less "evidence of new missteps".

The imminent September departure of CEO Michael Eisner and the recent breakup with Miramax founders Bob and Harvey Weinstein were also hailed by the Mississippi-based group as "positive signs".

Others believe the boycott was cancelled because it was ineffective.

"It's clear that this tactic had very limited impact," said Jennifer Chrisler, executive director of the Family Pride Coalition.

"Disney is a wonderfully family-friendly company that recognises the importance of all families, including those with LGBT parents. Disney provides a model for other companies in how well they have treated their LGBT employees, helping them take care of their families by providing domestic partner benefits."

Doug Swallow, founder of Gay Day at Walt Disney World, told the Gay.com/PlanetOut Network that he wasn't even aware of the AFA boycott. He described his reaction as "indifferent".

"Why are they announcing the end of a boycott that can only be characterised as unknown, and certainly not effective?" he asked. "They're seeking publicity and they're likely going to use the opportunity in some manner to aid their continuous fundraising efforts."

According to the Associated Press, Disney has seen higher earnings, increased theme park attendance and good ratings for its ABC network in recent years.

"Boycotts have always been a last resort for us at AFA," Wildmon said in the group's Monday statement.

In the last year, however, the AFA has started boycotts against Procter & Gamble and Kraft Foods. Both were reactions to corporate initiatives that were favourable to the LGBT community.

http://uk.gay.com/headlines/8579?REFRESH

Haha i think this is so funny, a boycott that nobody knew about except the group who's boycott it was LOL

Regards,

Lee

Donald Wildmon has been one of this country's biggest wannabe censors for years. He's generally only successful at scaring smaller TV stations away from running shows.

Madame0120
    I think the kids were whining
    :cute: :baby:

We wana go to Disney Land

:gaydays:
    They bout couldn't stand it no `mo.

Top Cat
    I hope that Mr. Wildmon and the AFA will consider supporting a much more important boycott.

Quote Originally Posted by dillmedia
    I hope that Mr. Wildmon and the AFA will consider supporting a much more important boycott.
    I'd be happy for the AFA to type in caps all day long if they'd quit bullying TV stations :shifty: