Thread: Another, probably DUMB 2257 question.

Slade

Another, probably DUMB 2257 question.

I'm SURE I know the answer to this, but ya never know..so here goes:

It's my understanding that if your pics/videos/content were shot/made BEFORE 7/3/95, you are NOT required to have pic ids etc under the new regs?

Thanks much!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Correct however, its always good to err on the side of caution and get as many docs as possible even for OLD content.

Also, you WERE required to have the docs for content created AFTER November 1990 (or '91) i beleive so you should have them anyway so that you cant be charged with breaking the regulations prior to these new ones coming in to effect.

Regards,

Lee

TMBBrian
    Does anyone know how Canadian law differs in this respect?
    IE, would moving your operation(s) to Canada relieve you of the new laws?

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    I think many seem to forget, this law applies to United States Citizens, don't really matter where you reside, where the business is... you are a USA citizen and subject to their laws... only way is to hide that fact and I don't think that is legal either.. but heck, just my opinion and not meant as legal advice.
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

july 1995 is correct. before that, photographers were not required to get i.d. - just to check it.

if YOU move to canada, you would probably only be responsible to uphold canadian laws. but if you incorporate in canada while your business actually takes place here, my lawyer said that u.s. law still applies to you.

as far as I read it, its all about your "primary place of business" so if you setup in Canada and do your business from there then you are set. But if you still do the majority of your business within the USA then its irrelevant if you setup in Canada.

cheers,
    Luke

Slade
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    as far as I read it, its all about your "primary place of business" so if you setup in Canada and do your business from there then you are set. But if you still do the majority of your business within the USA then its irrelevant if you setup in Canada.

cheers,
    Luke

Ok..now we have a couple of schools of thought here:

1)As a U.S. Citizien, if your primary place of biz is out of the U.S.A., these regs don't apply to you.
    2)If you are a US citizen, it doesn't matter WHERE you do your biz, you're still subject to these regs.

I've been under the impression that #2 is the "correct" answer, and I know we are not lawyers, but anyone want to weigh in here with an exact quote from the regs that will support or deny either of the above?

i can only answer part of it, because i only talked to the lawyer about things that affect me directly or that he wanted to tell me.

if you are here and working here, 2257 applies to you, just like any other law. if you are a non u.s. citizen, and you rob a little old lady or burn down a building, you can be arrested and possibly jailed here - or shipped out of the country. if your business embezzles here, you can be tried here.

as far as a u.s. citizen working outside the country, i didn't ask as i knew i would not move.