Thread: Does anyone here use premier 6 for editing?

basement

Does anyone here use premier 6 for editing?

How do i make movie in uncompressed mode without premier increasing the size of the uncompressed vid it is processing?

curiousbunny
    I still havent had a chance to dig into Premiere a whole lot but
    am sure u can find the answer here.

http://www.adobe.com/support/products/premiere.html

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b372

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by basement
    How do i make movie in uncompressed mode without premier increasing the size of the uncompressed vid it is processing?
    Not sure what you're referring to here... but here's an answer to what I think you're asking.

Premiere for PC uses .avi as its native format, so under normal circumstances, when you capture video from mini-DV, it will come into Premiere as an AVI which is not *truly* uncompressed (mini-DV itself is a highly compressed format) but is the most uncompressed format that Premiere works with.

Once you've edited it, you can render it out to .avi if there's the possibility you will continue to edit (MPEG isn't good for this for technical reasons), or you can render it directly to the final format you want (WMV, QT, or Real for web; MPEG-2 for DVD; AVI for high-res archival storage, or back to mini-DV. You can also batch-encode using Canopus Procoder or Sorenson Squeeze, among others.

Hope that helps...

basement
    When i render the final vid in uncompressed microsoft avi at 100% quality 720x480 the file size is almost 3x the size of the original uncompressed raw video. It is so large my media player has trouble reading it. Probably don't have enough ram at 512 to play smoothly files this big. Also premier which has never been really stable seems to have become even more unstable since i installed new usb2 card and added an external dvd burner.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    What was the source filetype from which you were editing? Was it AVI or something else? Also, what OS and which version of Premiere are you using?

When we were using Premiere 6.5 with Win2k, I did occasionally see Premere crash or simply quit for no apparent reason, but since switching to WinXP and Premiere Pro 1.5, I don't think we've seen any problems at all.

I tend to doubt that your problem is RAM related, unless you have a driver or some other apps running in the background and hogging RAM. One of our machines has only 256MB of RAM and while it's glacially slow sometimes, it's never been unstable or played video unreliably. On the other hand, it is a pretty fast P4 so the processor speed might make up for the lack of RAM.

basement
    "What was the source filetype from which you were editing? Was it AVI or something else? Also, what OS and which version of Premiere are you using?"

Sourcefile is avi. os is xp. premier 6. Pentium P4 1.8 ghz with 512 ram.

basement
    It was the cable. Man. always the last thing i think of. Same thing happened to me with a sony computer 5 yrs ago.