Thread: The Google dances again!

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar

The Google dances again!

So google appears to be dancing again...this time with it's most significant changes yet, both to the way it indexes and assigns PR values, but also apparantly to it's features and layouts.

This is an interesting article.
    google dancing again

Has anyone noticed any shifts in their placement? We pretty much have stayed the same checking our keyword lists...

Dzinerbear
    Webmaster World is calling the update Bourbon. I haven't seen any changes. My rankings are still as solid as an 18-year-old's cock.

The High Rankings SEO board has this to say about the Bourbon update: "In the tradition of HR not following the crowd and assigning these updates our own names, I'd like to propose we call this one Kohoutek (that was the comet that everyone made such a fuss over back in 1971 that turned out to be a big nothing...)"

Cheers
    dzinerbear

Top Cat
    So about a month ago I finally hit No.1 on Google for one of my key search terms, "gay redhead." I wrote about it in my blog and called the entry "No. 1 gay redhead site (for now)." Well in the new update, that blog entry is now #6 for my search term...LOL! I guess that speaks to the power of blogging!

Unfortunately I've dropped dramatically for some of my other key search terms.

Dzinerbear
    Andy,

Your site's still number one for "gay redheads." The problem is that you're not consistent in your choice of keywords. You're using: gay redhead, gay redheads, red head, redhead, redhead men.

"Gay Redhead" is only actually used twice on the page I looked at. You have no ALT tags that I could see. You have no links on the page for "gay redheads." You have too many keywords in your meta tag. You only have five sites linking to this site and that's not a great number. And if you were going after "gay redhead" then that needs to be the keyword phrase used in your title. Remember, SEO experts usually suggest you go after only a couple of keywords per page.

I think your drop in rankings has more to do with sloppy SEO than a major change in the algorithm. I think if you cleaned some of the above up, you'd see that you'd bounce back. If you want me to look at a couple of your other phrases, you know where to find me.

dzinerbear

Just did a search for gay redheads, sure enough, redheadguys.com comes in at #1...so no place lost on that..

Good points on SEO in the previous post.

I did find it interesting that in all of the dancing, and re-adjusting the way they read sites, rank sites, and list sites, attempting to give content relative and reliable results, listing number 4 (http://www.highcountryjobs.com/REDHEADS) a feeder page for silvercash, under gay redheads is obviously a spam page, packed full of keywords.. (this one should have gotten zapped for over doing the keywords in the text), it's root domain has nothing to do with the industry, there is the major se keyword as the file name. no meta tags for keywords.... and has absolutely nothing to do with gay at all.

I thought google was after providing listings relavent to site content...?

I thought part of all the dancing was to eliminate or make it less likely that a webmaster can do this so easily.

Dzinerbear
    You're right, Tom, but with every change in the algorithm there are some sites that sneak through. So, there's a certain amount of tweaking that happens in the days and weeks to come. That's why they advice not to jump out of a 20 storey building until the dust truly settles.

dzinerbear

Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear
    My rankings are still as solid as an 18-year-old's cock.
    You have such a great way with words!!!

cheers,
    Luke

but with every change in the algorithm there are some sites that sneak through.
    Sneak through? A blind man could see this one. This has the most simple elements of what their filters and algorithms have been adjusted to catch.. By the way, listing 8 also gets away with this so there's an awful lot of "sneaking through" on google that's going on!

So, there's a certain amount of tweaking that happens in the days and weeks to come.
    Seems like the dance has not fully finished yet either in this update. it appears that it is being phased in...will be interesting to see how it all shakes out....some of the new google features are incredible...site mapping, google customizations, etc....it's the shifting in the algorithms that worries the masses....and not sure if that is done yet.... i think that part is still TBD.

That's why they advice not to jump out of a 20 storey building until the dust truly settles.
    There sure seems to be a lot of reasons for webmasters to do 20 story swan dives lately... ! :1ymca:

Marq
    Hi guys!
    I have definitely noticed a change, for the last two weeks, I (exclamationsgay.com) have been number two, number three- up and down for "gay sex" then some days not in the first thousands of pages or not at all...! very odd. There is absolutely something going on at Google. Before the Florida update I was number one for "gay sex" for years.

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely Tristin's Avatar
    With share prices nearing the $300 mark and current market capitalization topping $80 billion, Google is considered the most valuable media company in the world, surpassing the $78 billion value of Time-Warner and rising far above Yahoo's estimated value of $56 billion.
    I smell a bubble getting ready to burst and leave a lot of people in the poor house. I'm sorry, But Google worth more than Time warner, I don't think so, not in their wildest dreams. Anyone remember the AOL bubble?

Tristin...

You've been tooned!

love the new pic..

Tom

i am not so sure about the bubble as it appliese to google. they are well capitalized, are not really pursuing heavy debt ridden acquisitions ... and seem to have a good handle on their cash flow/ debt structure.... most bubble pops are caused by heavy debt vs. cash flow and market realization of that as a deterant to earnings ....

I think google's growth strategy looks fairly solid...

true, the market is overvaluing the company... but they are sure bringing in boat loads of cash on PPC right now... with what appears to be no end in sight..and they are showing a steady growth in earnings...

maybe it will be a bubble shrinking rather than a popping?

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely Tristin's Avatar
    Ya, but they said the same thing about Yahoo and AOL. There is some pimpled faced 12 year old in some basement somewhere right now working on the next big thing. With tech and websites your walking on thin ice all the time as far as value goes. The vaule of google and most other sites is based simpley on future profit expectations. They do not have anywhere near $80 billion in cold hard cash. And uless they get $80 billion in cash it's simply a bubble waiting to burst.

Dzinerbear
    Quote Originally Posted by tombarr
    Sneak through? A blind man could see this one.
    That's what I'm trying to say. Every major shift in the algorithm brings some surprises that shouldn't be there. Then, we they make some more adjustments over the next days and weeks, those surprises fall out. You can never count on the first couple of weeks of a major update.

dzinerbear