Thread: Type in traffic

Dzinerbear

Type in traffic

When I log at the top referrers in my server logs, I get a significant number with no referrer. I understand that this can be: (1) bookmarkers, (2) type in, or (3) referrers that block their identity. However, is there actually any way to tell what is what? Is there a stats program out there that breaks it down?

dzinerbear

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    And I thought it was just me that couldn't find the source of these "mystery" referrers...

It's hard to properly evaluate a campaign when these are potential bookmarked pages from clicks on specific campaigns.

As far as anyone i have ever talked to, it's just that, an undefined source, type in, bookmark, etc..

maybe someone has the answer and I'm certainly hoping this thread will get to one..

unfortunately, it is near impossible to tell where 'no referrer' traffic is coming from. The way server based stats work is that every time someone visits your site, an entry gets put into the log file. That entry details a number of items, like the browser type, the computer type, what the surfer is requesting and where the surfer came from. Then on specific time intervals (usually at about 4am server time when the server is at its lowest traffic) the stats program parses the logs and collates the data into the nice stats pages we see.

You might be able to get some different information if you use a counter on your page, as sometimes the javascript is able to pull up some info that a surfer's firewall normally blocks. However, traditionally, counters are known as being less reliable than server based stats.

tombarr - if you want to properly analyse traffic campaigns the best and easiest way to do this is to send those surfers to a specific landing page which no other surfers see. This can be a copy of your index page. That way you know for certain where your traffic comes from every time this landing page is called.

cheers,
    Luke

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Damn Luke, thats one of the best answers ive ever read to that question :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lee

and I wrote that after drugging up on pseudoeffs and panadeine to settle my flu, maybe I should start taking more drugs LOL!!!

cheers,
    Luke