Thread: Storms a Brewing in Florida?

Storms a Brewing in Florida?

Got this in email this morning ... and haven't found anything online yet that confirms this? Any Florida folk have a clue?

"On June 15, 2005, County Commisioner's made the decision that Gay's are not welcome in Tampa, Florida. They decided that all Gay theme events would not be allowed in Hillsborough County. They also agreed to have all Gay themed books pulled from Public Libraries. They have also refused to grant benefits to partners of county workers. And anyone distributing Gay material in Hillsborough County will be arrested. The commisioner heading this bigoted crusade is Ronda Storms."

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    Wow if that is true, it's gonna start a firestorm. It's going to get struck down by courts... sorry, you just can't go around arresting people for handing out literature because you don't agree with the subject.

What country is this county in?

Top Cat
    I'm torn between being angry and just checking out Canada's immigration website again.

Here's the story:

Hillsborough County Commission bans support of gay pride events

The Associated Press

June 16. 2005 3:19PM

he Hillsborough County Commission has enacted a policy banning county agencies from acknowledging gay pride events, despite several impassioned pleas from gay rights advocates.

Civil rights groups threatened to sue and called for a town hall meeting on the ban, which requires the Hillsborough County government "to abstain from acknowledging, promoting or participating in gay pride recognition and events." The board passed the proposal 5-1 on Wednesday.

Hillsborough Commissioner Ronda Storms, who recommended the policy, followed up with a second proposal, that commissioners can only repeal the policy on a 5-2 super majority vote that follows a public hearing.

"I think that Hillsborough County commissioners sent a very clear message that not everyone is welcome here," said Vonn New, Central Florida director for the gay, lesbian and transgender rights advocacy group Equality Florida. "I think it's shameful what the commission has done."

An attorney for the National Center for Lesbian Rights immediately pledged to file a lawsuit contending the policy violates free speech and equal protection rights for gays and lesbians.

"You don't hide the discrimination by making it broader," said Karen M. Doering of St. Petersburg, who serves as regional counsel to the group.

Equality Florida also scheduled a Monday town hall meeting on the topic.

The vote comes a week after a book display recognizing Gay and Lesbian Pride Month was taken down at West Gate Regional Library after some library patrons complained. Library officials have said the exhibit at West Gate was removed due to a misunderstanding and was later moved to a less prominent area in the fiction part of the library.

Details of the ban, such as whether any display about gay issues would be banned at libraries, were unclear. After the vote, Storms would only say that she feels the language is clear.

But when asked about whether gay student groups would be allowed to meet at a county library or another meeting space, Storms said they would.

"We're not saying that because of your sexual orientation you can't come into the library," she said.

---

Information from: St. Petersburg Times,

desslock
    One of the great Supreme Court decisions that was handed down a few years ago was Roemer v. Evans - which asserted equal rights protections for us in a case where Colorado government agencies could not segregate us into a special groups for negative treatment.

Another great Justice Kennedy opinion.

Their legal recourse will probably draw from this case.

Steve

I think the Gay community should organize a peaceful protest, since they aren't allowed a pride festival. Hundreds of people walking the street with shirts that say "I'm Gay" etc. would be appropriate :thumbsup:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

now THERE'S a shirt that would get right to the point

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    I think the Gay community should organize a peaceful protest, since they aren't allowed a pride festival. Hundreds of people walking the street with shirts that say "I'm Gay" etc. would be appropriate :thumbsup:

kcwebwerks
    Isn't this SUPPOSED to be the land of the (everyone together now) FREE!?!?!

I can't see the ban lasting until the ink is even dry. The government will try to get away with whatever they think they can unless we stand up and remind them of the constitutional rights that they are supposed to uphold.

Quote Originally Posted by kcwebwerks
    Isn't this SUPPOSED to be the land of the (everyone together now) FREE!?!?!

I can't see the ban lasting until the ink is even dry. The government will try to get away with whatever they think they can unless we stand up and remind them of the constitutional rights that they are supposed to uphold.
    The government only goes they way it's led.. by the president.

I think we should start restricting freedom of religion in reataliation. We should pass ordinances that no bibles be allowed in libraries and all crosses taken down from churches. What you guys think? :specs:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com