Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the fsc and our industry

the fsc and our industry

i'm just curious - how many people here know what the fsc does when they aren't dealing with an industry crisis like 2257?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    I think anything that has to do with Free Speech, from what I've read they seem to get involved with legislation either passed or in the process of being passed.

Fetishlady
    i'm sure they are helping webmasters to fight about this 2257 but i guess it's too late.

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar
    The Free Speech Coalition has been fighting behind the scenes every day. They are a watch dog for the industry and when it's time to fight, they fight. They provide testimony at hearings at all levels of government, local, state and federal, as well as offer legal advice to members who find themselves in legal battles.

The thing that impresses me most about the FSC is that they have fought the battles of the adult industry basically by themselves. They haven't had their hand out begging for our support. They believe in the First Amendment and they fight like hell for it's preservation. They truly deserve our support. They have already worked for it.
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I can honestly say i have not heard anything they have done as an organization to help the adult industry in the last, say 5 years, where there was a positive outcome that they directly affected.

It seems the only time 'we' (the adult industry) hears from them, is when the piggy bank is running low.

Regards,

Lee

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar
    I think I can shed some light here, the adult entertainment industry just found the Free Speech Coalition, not the other way around. They've been very active behind the scenes mostly lobbying congress and the california legislature. They also keep "track" of pending legislation, sort of like heads up, and what's on the horizon type memos in the members section. Also, there's alot of statistics and fact compilation which make for great reads, again, it's in the members area. They do alot of educating and also they teach how to educate stressing the importance of being armed with facts and figures that support the industry. Basically, they want you to be educated enough to be able to defend yourself in public or wherever you need to. They have "education" seminars to help members and keep them up to date.

These things don't make news. Only the huge court cases that they win make the news. But that's ok, because the FSC is known as the David against Goliath giant killer and has a tremendous track record and respect in the legal field. If you read some of the bios of the attorneys, they are all amazing minds who are first amendment "zealots" as they call themselves.

It's hard to appreciate the ground work they do because we always *think* that someone somewhere is lobbying for the adult industry. That's only been true in the last few years since the FSC has aggressively lobbied to get the attention of local, state and federal legislation, and sadly, it's own industry.

Winning supreme and court of appeals cases are the most important and visible work that the FSC does. However, it's grass roots effort to educate and inform our own industry seems to be the most difficult task that it faces. That doesn't say alot for this industry as a whole.

i wasn't actually asking what they do - i asked how many people KNOW what they do. after talking to a lot of people, most of the people i know either say they don't know or give a vague answer.

I understand that Basschick and it's just underscores the fact that the FSC needs it's members to educate and inform the industry as to what it does. The FSC doesn't do a good job of tooting it's own horn so I guess I'll have to toot for them. Members have an obligation to help in this area. I hope that I shed some light on the matter even if it didn't specifically answer your question.

i had a brief dialogue with them, suggesting that they get out into the community more or hire a liason person. they felt otherwise.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Well i have to admit, i know very little about what they do hell, most of us in the 'industry' had to find out second hand that they had even filed their injunction.

Likewise, most of us also had to find out second hand that it was being heard on the 23rd at 1:30pm.

Likewise no doubt, we'll have to find out second hand what the outcome of the injunction will be id imagine.

For an organization defending the industry, with recent team additions including a communications person, they still dont seem to be 'communicating' with the industry much.

I guess thats why people pay them money, so they can communicate this stuff for them, second hand

Perhaps i should open a press release service where people pay me to submit their press releases and then go out and tell everyone about them for me LOL

Regards,

Lee

Well, I sense this feeling of entitlement and ingratitude that both sides of the industry share. The arrogance, the self preservationist at all cost attitude is something that I just don't believe in. I believe everyone has the right to their own opinion regardless of what I think but I'm also not going to change my belief system for this job or any other one for that matter. I simply do not have alot in common with other gay webmasters and it's hard to relate to my peers. It's time for a change and I look forward to that next chapter in my life.

BDBionic
    I dunno, Lee. Seems you have some strange hostility towards the FSC. Perhaps your lack of awareness about what they do and how they operate is just that - your own lack of awareness. As opposed to any fault of their own.

Maybe you should take the time to request information from them, ask questions of them and become informed about what they do rather than run about your board making baseless assumptions about them and accusing them of not going out of their way to make you happy.

You seem too eager to hold them at fault for their not having won you over.

Madame0120
    The FSC has been, for as long as I can remember, a solid supporter of the BDSM lifestyle.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Lee, you know I love you but I do have to make a bit of a stand here. You remind me of those people in the Spiderman comics where he saves them from the villan and their response is "Who are you, what do you want???". Not that the FSC are some kind of superheroes, but they have been around on the fringes of the adult webmaster community for years, even if they are not as directly involved. And now they see that we are in danger and they finally come in to help us. They have made our battle thier own, I don't think they really need to go around making friends. They are basically just saying, "Okay, we're here to help you. But we're gonna need some help as well".

But I am curious, why bite the hand that reaches out to help?
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Polish my nuts and serve me a milkshake Buck Angel's Avatar
    My 2 cents!
    They answered every question I had about what is going on and made me feel that they are doing a great job for the adult Industry..what other organiztion is out there working for us? I do not see anyone else fighting!

Everytime I have seen them at a webmaster convention and had questions about something they always were there to support and answer the questions..FREE!

Maybe we should seriously think about putting together an organization of our own to fight for our rights! Not so much legally but lets say to get it out to media and to congressman. Let the public know what the fuck is going on. The goverment is using us to devert attention from the real issues in this country. The Christian goverment is out of control unless we really do something to stop them we are screwed!

Buck :juggle: