Thread: me too, I'm new here!

mgmydesigner

Big Grin me too, I'm new here!

I have no experience designing for adult web sites but have been designing for print/web for the past 12 yrs

anybody wants to give me a chance? :goseek:

can provide samples of current non-adult work

mgmydesigner

I Wonder?

anybody know where i can start? any good adult freelance sites?

First off, welcome to the GWW community.

As to "freelance" sites, I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking for links to.

To get into this off of mainstream is certainly doable. But you need to be willing to take the time it's going to take to learn everything you can about the adult business, the various niches within the two marketing groups (straight and gay), as well as go and study as many various types of sites as you can that the adult webmaster uses. They need items like banners, free sites, link list sites, tgp gallery sites, full page ads, half page ads, sponsor sites, avs sites, and paysites and tours. You need to learn what each of those is, and how to make them.

Start chasing down all the resource links you'll find on boards like this one that are out there to service the needs of the working adult webmaster for starters. Get to know the types of sites. Start registering on boards like this one and get to know folks. Ask questions or just participate wherever you can so they get to know you.

Start building up a portfolio, maybe even look to see what's available for a good domain name and pick it up and slowly start building yourself a site where you can house your samples.

It can be fun if you go in with that mind set, but I won't kid you and say there's a fortune to be had, or that it's easy work, it isn't. It's long hours and the work can be sporadic. You need to decide if it's something you're willing to commit to for the long haul, and go from there.

mgmydesigner
    thanks... i already do design work on the side for sites, so having ADULT design work be sporadic wont be a problem... this isnt my MAIN source of income... just thought it would be fun!

yes, i did think about purchasing a separate domain from my "regular" site and just start doing "fake" designs so that i can show what i can do.

again, thanks for the info

On the other hand.... You have different fingers dirtygeek's Avatar
    Welcome to the GWW! Bec gave you some ideas, but you may want to build an site to display your work, prices, etc. :twink:
    You'll get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 then you'll get with just a kind word.

Stunner Media Presents 8 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | BoyCrushCash | Phoenixxx | <a href="http://hunkmoney.com/">Hunk Money</a> | <a href="http://nats.britishbucks.com/">British Bucks</a> | <a href="http://nats4.emoprofits.com/">Emo Profits</a> | <a href="http://latinobucks.com/">Latino Bucks</a>

mgmydesigner
    Thanks

I already have a site for commercial sites, but i dont want to mix the two, and well... i dont really have much to show as far as adult design... but i guess i could just fake out some sites to show what i COULD do

Ace_Luffy
    BEC .. thanks for the info , big help to us specially to the newbies...

Quote Originally Posted by mgmydesigner
    Thanks

I already have a site for commercial sites, but i dont want to mix the two, and well... i dont really have much to show as far as adult design... but i guess i could just fake out some sites to show what i COULD do
    Just a heads up to be very aware of what's happening right now regarding the new 2257 regulations if you're a US based webmaster/designer. If you are going to do some "fake" designs, or when you start getting some actual work for clients ... be sure you know about keeping the required id's and documentation, as you'll need to be compliant yourself on any samples you show on your site. If you want to do some samples go buy some content from providers that will give you the necessary ID's and model release forms that show the full information including the production date of the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_Luffy
    BEC .. thanks for the info , big help to us specially to the newbies...
    You're very welcome. That's just a push in the right direction .. the rest will be up to you to take the time to learn all you can. I know it took me nearly a year just to figure out most of the various types of sites, how they're used, and how to effectively build them... and I'm still learning new stuff every day about some aspect of this biz.

You'll also need to understand a good chunk of how the adult sites are marketed, because what you design can negatively or positively contribute to various things: ie: search engine optimization, surfer retention, click thru rates, talking the "right talk" for a certain niche, and so on. You'll find a lot of clients really have no clue what to say and will look to the designer to not only design but build in most of the text and sales pitch and maybe even handle their meta tags as well.

And another big area to learn about is the various program scripts that get used by the adult webmaster, especially stuff like trade scripts, link list scripts, tgp gallery scripts and maybe even content management programs. Knowing how to customize various items like the templates those use or the phpbb or vbulletin templates will also come into play at some point.

And get good at stuff like php and CSS. You'll need it!

mgmydesigner
    aaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! so complicated! :goof: