Thread: 2257 a concern for Canadian Webmasters?

I Wonder? 2257 a concern for Canadian Webmasters?

Hey Guys,

I returned from a vacation to find all this craziness erupting in the industry! I'm not well versed with the new 2257 regulations so I'm not clear as to what's going on. I've been trying to catch up by reading the threads, but it's all just over my head...

In a nutshell, here's my situation:

I'm Canadian, I operate in Canada and have a US host. I operate AVS sites and there are nude pics on the front pages.

- As a foreign webaster (Canadian), should I be concerned about complying?

- What legal implications should I be concered about?

Thanks in advance everyone,

Brian

as a Canadian you are not legally required to comply with 2257, however, it is still unclear if your hosting in the USA will be considered your "primary place of business" so if I were you I would:
    - comply as much as possible and put up 2257 links on all your domain's home pages leading to your 2257 statement
    - look at moving to non-us hosting

cheers,
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    as a Canadian you are not legally required to comply with 2257, however, it is still unclear if your hosting in the USA will be considered your "primary place of business" so if I were you I would:
    - comply as much as possible and put up 2257 links on all your domain's home pages leading to your 2257 statement
    - look at moving to non-us hosting

cheers,
    Luke

Hey Luke,

So, do you think it would be sufficient enough to censor an image that is graphic to avoid having to list all that information?

I suppose, if the hosting is a problem, the easiest thing would be to just go offshore as you say...

Brian

i'm not luke, but censoring the image won't help for 2257. it's not a censorship issue.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    i'm not luke, but censoring the image won't help for 2257. it's not a censorship issue.
    Ok... So, basically, then in order to conduct my AVS sites as usual and not have to worry about complying, I should host offshore? (vs. the idea of censoring that I had).

As I mentioned it is still unclear about hosting sites in the USA. You might not have to worry about it but on the other hand of the DOJ feels like flexing its muscles it could just go out and shut down as many USA-hosted non-complying sites as it can, and at this time we have no idea how the courts will rule either...only time will tell.

A lot of non-US webmasters are setting up their hosting outside of the USA just to get the hell out of there and to sleep better at night knowing their sites will still be there in the morning!

cheers,
    Luke

Dzinerbear
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    A lot of non-US webmasters are setting up their hosting outside of the USA just to get the hell out of there and to sleep better at night knowing their sites will still be there in the morning!
    Amen! Hallelujah. If you don't have to be based in the U.S., get out.

dzinerbear

Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear
    Amen! Hallelujah. If you don't have to be based in the U.S., get out.

dzinerbear

Dzinerbear, I hear ya! :gaydays:

Thanks for the input... I'll start researching other venues (Chili, I have your hosting in mind as well :thumbsup: )

BrianDN

kewl, good luck with the research and hope to hear from you soon

cheers,
    Luke