Thread: zoneedit question

zoneedit question

how long after i change my ips in zoneedit does it take for the domains to move to the new ip?

thanks!

JustMe
    Greetings:

ZoneEdit allows you to set your TTL, or "time to live", for the domains. So, whatever the TTL is set at for those domains, is how long it will take the nameservers that have your domain cached to update.

If a nameserver doesn't have your domain cached, the "update" would be instantaneous.

thanks - i didn't know that. in fact, it's safe to say that i know almost nothing about zoneedit

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe
    Greetings:

ZoneEdit allows you to set your TTL, or "time to live", for the domains. So, whatever the TTL is set at for those domains, is how long it will take the nameservers that have your domain cached to update.

If a nameserver doesn't have your domain cached, the "update" would be instantaneous.

TTL is a factor that gets put into play after you browse your site. Here's how it works. You browse, your ISP gets the domain-ip resolution and stores that in its cache files for the pre-determined TTL, as long as no one using your ISP browses your site again in that TTL then it gets dropped.

so if you change your IP and then browse your site, you will very likely get to your new server. But if you browse, then change the IP, then browse again, you will get to the old server.

And to make things even more fun, every time you browse a site that is cached in your ISP's local caching servers, the TTL gets recalculated and reset based on a bunch of factors that are too boring to bother getting into right now. Plus there is also a max TTL factor that states that after so long they have to refresh the IP address lookup.

Anyway, short answer is within 15-30 minutes

cheers,
    Luke

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Unless ZoneEdit has changed it's policies recently, they stopped doing immediate updates to their zone files a couple years ago and now only update them about 4 times a day.

We used to host about 100 domains with zoneedit, but the combination of their taking away one of the best benefits they offered (near-immediate zone file updates) and some major failures that caused both primary and secondary nameservers to go down at the same time caused us to move to hosting our own DNS.

Don't get me wrong, Erik and company at Zoneedit are nice people and provide a decent service, but I think there are better options now. For one, we've found that Enom's DNS (free for domains registered with them) is rock solid reliable, comes with something like 4 redundant nameservers at no additional charge, and updates are, in fact, immediate (barring the TTL delay that Luke mentioned.)

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Weird, i always thought changes like that happened pretty much immediately, guess you learn something new everyday

Regards,

Lee