Thread: Have we come full cycle?

Slade

Have we come full cycle?

Just saw "Inherit the Wind" for the 2nd time..the first time was a long long time ago. (Definitely worth seeing if you've never had the chance).

But I was so struck by a movie made in 1960 and based on the Scopes Monkey Trial in the 1920's by how religious intolerance never really changes.

Some of the arguments made by Spencer Tracey (Defense Attorney) about the "Bible Thumpers" (aka Religous Right Wing) could so easily be said about what is happening in this country today in 2005.

I think one of the great lines of that movie was: "Fantascism & ignorance are always busy..and needs feeding!"

Man..it was true then, and is still true today.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I think with many things we eventually do come full cycle, a good example of this is fashion, what was hot in the 60's and 70's inevitably makes a comeback several decades later.

In your particular example, i feel muc the same way, its almost like we take 2 steps forward and 3 back sometimes

Regards,

Lee

Slade
    Well, here we are again bogged down in an unpopular war where the civilian populace doesn't support us, in Iraq and starting to unwind fast (support) in the U.S.

A supposedly VERY powerful Pres seems obvlious to what his generals have told him and says "we're winning the war" (much like the 60's "there's light at the end of the tunnel!").

And of course, the religious right that castigates Islam as been an "extreme" religion and then turns around and wants "Extraordinary Intelligence" taught in the school instead of evolution, the 10 commandentments as the basis for laws that includes everyone in this country, and the gays are becoming just a little too big for their britches and need to be beaten back into servitude (or the closet) where they belong.

Hate..like death and taxes, it's always around when you don't want it.