Thread: Neat free stats program to check you $$$'s

Greg Gaskell

Neat free stats program to check you $$$'s

I'm checking it out now
    http://www.unifiedstats.com

Seems cool to me and you can just ICQ the owner and they add sites in if not already listed.

Tell me what you guys think.

Greg Gaskell
    Bump, this program is COOL - come on guys just tell me what you think!!!

In concept it looks good, but I'm wondering why I need an account on their website which the program verifies every time you launch it? I'm just not sure how much I trust putting all of my affiliate codes & passwords in an application like this (which they are putting a lot of time and effort into for what seems like no profit to them).

agenda9, i'm with you on this. it appears that these people could have access to all our stats, which includes the ability to change our info on our sponsors' sites. it also includes all sorts of our personal information.

It does look like an alternative to using Stats Remote - which you do have to pay for ... but at the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth ... where's the profit/motive in this for them to be offering this for free? I can see having a coding site where you can purchase some scripts, and they toss on a few freebies, or give out a free version that then costs you a few dollars for a version with more goodies... but this doesn't appear to be that sort of site.

Any coders floating around here who can verify or deny whether their claim about our sponsor info being ON our computers in a database ON our system, and they can't access it?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    An interesting concept for sure however, id be more concerned about a 3rd party having access to our sponsors logins.

As it stands there is only 1 person here right now that has that info on hand and im typing this message LOL

Regards,

Lee

Here's what makes me very leery of this program:
    • Open the program
    • It checks for a newer version and installs one if needed
    • The login box appears
    • Disconnect your network connection
    • Enter your username & password

You'll find that you can not get past the login prompt if you don't have an internet connection. That means it's validating your user name & password against a database on their servers. There's really no legitimate reason why it would do that. It makes you wonder what other data they are storing on their servers about you and the affliliate programs you've signed up for.

There's some talk about this on other boards. From what I can tell, the program will at some point cost your $20 a month. But webmasters you promote it get one month free for every webmaster they refer.

UnifiedStats
    Hi everyone...John from UnifiedStats...looks like I might be able to clear up some questions here...

Regarding your data...it is absolutely 100% secure...logging into our server to use our service doesn't affect that at all and it's no different than the other solution on the market. As for why this is done, there's many reasons...one, a key requirement of the software is that it be updated as new sponsors are added/modified ect...it's the core concept of the product. And the reason for the login, it's no different than logging into this website to use the service...being a provider of a webmaster resource which we are offering for free to webmasters, I'm sure you can understand the need for us to have a handle on the products success, usage ect...It would be impossible to run it any other way.

Which kind of leads into the next subject...why it's free...as I mentioned we are viewing this as a webmaster resource...it's a new concept (offering a piece of software like this for free to webmasters) so I can understand it might seem strange....but we strongly believe we can build a win win situation for everyone involved...it's a resource no different than an industry board or online mag in our mind.

Regarding whether you decide to trust or not...the most I can say is it has been in heavy use for the better part of this year by many webmasters...and has been available to the public for almost 2 mos now...since we have gone to the free model concept, it's usage has exploded.

Regarding the price: It will remain 100% free forever...it's easiest to just think of this as a webmaster resource...there are many resources available to webmasters for free that find funding elsewhere...we decided we could do the same with this and give webmasters a tool that they would otherwise have to pay for.

I will do my best to keep an eye on this thread...so ask away Also, feel free to hit me up on icq anytime and I will do my best to answer any additional questions/concerns - icq 241214664

Thank you for taking the time to respond here! and welcome to GWW. I hope you'll stick around and add to the board on a regular basis. :thumbsup:

UnifiedStats
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec
    Thank you for taking the time to respond here! and welcome to GWW. I hope you'll stick around and add to the board on a regular basis. :thumbsup:
    No prob

I'm doing my best to make myself as available as can be to anyone interested in the running the product...I'm very aware of the need to work directly with webmasters in order to build a product that best serves them...

I'll be checking in here as often as I can...so let me know if I can be of any assistance and always feel free to hit me up directly

Thanks John! I guess with all of the virus & spyware developers out there we're all naturally suspicious of anything that seems too good to be true. It's nice to find something that is good & true!

UnifiedStats
    Quote Originally Posted by agenda9
    Thanks John! I guess with all of the virus & spyware developers out there we're all naturally suspicious of anything that seems too good to be true. It's nice to find something that is good & true!

Understood...I wish I could do more to assure you...but might just take time and I understand. We do have a great number of webmasters using the software already, so you might find some comfort in numbers too