Thread: 2257 Effects Outside of the U.S.

MisterMark

2257 Effects Outside of the U.S.

I know that, technically, if someone is doing business in the U.S., they're supposed to have all of their 2257 records in order. But if you're in Canada, for example, or even someplace far away like Germany, is there any real reason that you need to fully comply?

As far as I know, the feds would not and could not suddenly decide to go to Canada and investigate your records, right?

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    In my opinion, the problem is that if you want to sell to US webmasters or have your affiliate program promoted by them, you are going to need to be 2257 compliant so they can do that... the problem then comes to foreign operators who then find themselves in violation of their own countries Privacy Laws in order to be 2257 compliant... so in essence it is a double edged sword.

Sure a site can sell to anyone from anywhere, but if you promote your material for resale, then you are suddenly faced with a great deal more headaches than whether the US feds could come knocking, which in reality isn't all that much of a concern, unless you are violating C*P laws... then it doesn't really matter does it, as you aren't legal no matter what records you keep or don't.

So its a tough choice for foreign operators.

just my opinion though.
    Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

IMHO, if you are fully outside of the USA then you don't have to worry about 2257. And by fully, I mean everything that you can control, ie, your place of business, your bank accounts, your billing, your hosting, etc.

However, if you have one of these within the USA, then you are still at risk of an overzealous DOJ morality squad official trying to shut you down.

cheers,
    Luke

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Id have to agree with what Luke said

Regards,

Lee

Fetishlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    IMHO, if you are fully outside of the USA then you don't have to worry about 2257. And by fully, I mean everything that you can control, ie, your place of business, your bank accounts, your billing, your hosting, etc.

However, if you have one of these within the USA, then you are still at risk of an overzealous DOJ morality squad official trying to shut you down.

cheers,
    Luke

i absolutely agree with you!

basement
    I live in canada; produce content, vids and pics, and am fully 2257 compliant because i want US market. It is great not living in USA and knowing I won't receive a knock on the door from a zealous agent protecting children from abuse.