Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really need some help with video cameras

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar

Really need some help with video cameras

Trying to decide what to buy. I have been looking at the Sony FX1 and some others. What I need is something really easy to transfer the videos once they are done off the camera to the computer. So the tape option doesn't seem like a good way to go. I would think the mini dv would be better. I am looking for something between 2,000 - 3,500 and HD format would be nice.

As for taking screen shots from the video camera does anyone do that or is it just better to use a seperate camera? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    We've recently been looking at video cameras and have decided that the Sony DV cams seem to offer end-users a much wider choice of options.

I have also never heard anything bad about the Sony cameras from those who do use them regularly.

Hopefully one of the full time content people we have on the community will chime in

Regards,

Lee

if you don't need HD, the Panasonic AG DVC30 was recommended to me as a pretty durn good step up from my current camcorder.

MiniDV format is the standard, and anything lower looks like crap.. expecialy when held against everyone else's miniDV tapes.

Mine is a JVC, but I don't use it for filming, just capturing.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

a friend of mine did some video with a rented Sony FX1 today - he said it was impressive in every way, and the low light video was incredible.

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseCash.com
    Trying to decide what to buy. I have been looking at the Sony FX1 and some others. What I need is something really easy to transfer the videos once they are done off the camera to the computer. So the tape option doesn't seem like a good way to go. I would think the mini dv would be better. I am looking for something between 2,000 - 3,500 and HD format would be nice.

As for taking screen shots from the video camera does anyone do that or is it just better to use a seperate camera? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

MAN I'M SO JEALOUS!!! I bought a Sony VX2000 ($5000CD) about two years go and just today i was in the Sony Store and i realized that for that same amount of money i could now have the FX1 It looks and sounds like an amazing camcorder. The sales guy was getting a hard-on talking about it and i have to be honest, i started getting hard too

Anyways, i'm totally happy with my camcorder (VX2000). It's a 3ccd Mini DV setup. Really easy to set/change white-balance. Straightforward point-and-shoot camcorder if you want it to be. But it's also got a ton of other features that i've never even bothered to figure out. MY only complaint is the limitation of accessories. I'm limited to a very basic aftermarket mic that i can't do much about. I'm sure the FX1 has all the great features of the VX2000 and then some, so i would wholeheartedly recommend it.

I'm not at all familiar with the new HD technology, though. Will that come in handy on the web? or is that more just a DVD thing?

And about frame-grabs and photo stills...i do both. Even when i do both a photo shoot and a video shoot of a specific model, i still like to take frame-grabs from the video to compliment the shoot (so there is the photo set, the video, and the video frame grabs). Although, for duo scenes, i don't do a photo shoot (i hate cheesy staged duo photo shoots), but i use the frame-grabs as "photos" instead.

Today the USA, tommorrow the World collegeboyslive's Avatar
    Get the sony FX1 TRUST ME on this one. I picked one up a month ago, this baby rocks. you dont have to shoot in HD you can set it to regular DV or regular DV 16:9 or HD , you can even shoot in HD then let the cam downconvert to DV as it goes into the computer. This way you have the best of both worlds.

The ONLY drawback is that right now i have a seperate DV player so i dont need the camera to input the tapes into the computer, however it wont do HD so if i shoot in HD i need to plug the firewire into the camera to download.

eventually HD will be the norm, why not get a jump on it now.
    Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    In that price range, I'd say definitely go with the FX-1. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

If you're really serious about HD for other than web use, I would consider waiting and spending the extra $ on the recently announced Panasonic HD cam. It will be about $6000, but it offers true HD as opposed to an interlaced/hybrid HD offered by the Sony, and has a number of other really high-end features, including true 24 frame per second mode, which, combined with the software in the camera, makes video mimic the look of film. (The differences are pretty significant on DVD, but would be pretty minor-to-nonexistent on video-for-web.)

If you're shooting primarily for web use, the FX-1 should be a really solid choice, and allows you some obsolescence protection through it's support for HD. I do think that HD will increasingly be in demand from web customers, though probably not before late 2006 or early 2007.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    Wow thanks for the great feedback everyone. The two things I was worried about the the FX1 was using tapes. Wouldn't it be better to just get a camera that uses mini dv's? I know there is a reason but I haven't figured it out yet. How easy it is to transfer those to a mpeg file on the computer?

The other thing I wanted to know if you guys use a seperate camera or screen grab from the video for your pictures.

Thanks everyone again for your help.

Hugs,
    Mark

after reading a serious lot of reviews, and talking to a few owners of camcorders that record onto dvd's, i'd say that the quality of video recorded on dvd's isn't as good as mini-dv's at this time.

i'd use a separate camera for stills. the best quality of stills with a really good camcorder is so-so at best. if you want to wow your members - and have the best quality pics to make banners, fpa's and other design elements to wow your webmasters - high quality stills are the way to go. i was working with a program where we got emails thanking us for our hi-rez stills, so they do notice. also if your sites get listed on review sites, they will always let the surfers know that you have hi-rez stills, and how cool that is.

blah blah blah...
    Wow thanks for the great feedback everyone. The two things I was worried about the the FX1 was using tapes. Wouldn't it be better to just get a camera that uses mini dv's? I know there is a reason but I haven't figured it out yet. How easy it is to transfer those to a mpeg file on the computer?

The other thing I wanted to know if you guys use a seperate camera or screen grab from the video for your pictures.

Thanks everyone again for your help.

Hugs,
    Mark
    ummm....i'm not 100% sure....but doesn't the FX1 record onto a Mini DV? I think it does Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by GPallan
    ummm....i'm not 100% sure....but doesn't the FX1 record onto a Mini DV? I think it does Mark.
    Wow that is really strange it looks like you are right. The site that had a video review on the FX-1 put a tape into it, no wonder why I am so confused.

Mark

blah blah blah...
    Wow that is really strange it looks like you are right. The site that had a video review on the FX-1 put a tape into it, no wonder why I am so confused.

Mark
    haha i know what you mean. It was confusing for me too. Usually they clearly state "mini dv" right next to the model number. So, i guess you'll be purchasing it then?

btw Mark, have i ever told you how damn hot you are?!!! my friend was over the other day looking over my shoulder, and he too was like "woah, he's hot."

Slade

Mark
    Hey Mark,
    What's the best price you can find on the FX1? With the extras, the kit, etc. looks like the best I can find is on Ebay for about $3100.00

Today the USA, tommorrow the World collegeboyslive's Avatar
    carefull on ebay and these "really low proce " stores
    i tried to go that route and they try to see you "optional extras" like the lens !!!! and a charger and a battery and a "madatory warrenty"

get it from an autherized sony distributer, this isnt a toy to find out sony wont fix it if it breaks under warrenty cause it was a shipment from lapan or soemthing.
    Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com