Thread: Something I Dont Understand..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Something I Dont Understand..

Not so much on GWW but it still happens here to..

A company will spend money on a marketing campaign on a forum, this gives them some additional benefits that our other community members dont get for supporting GWW for example, they get to fly a banner in their signature if they so wish because they are an advertiser however i digress, i dont understand those companies who do spend upwards of 2k for ad spots on other forums (GFY for example) but, they have no active presence on those other boards, that, to me, is crazy, i mean, there is only so much you can fit on a banner ad right?

Would it not make sense for a rep from one of these programs spending so much money to be active on the boards too?

Sometimes this industry really does baffle me.

Regards,

Lee

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Join the club Lee... baffles me too.. but then guess that's why I go tilting at windmills... easier to figure out.. :francais:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Fetishlady
    same here...that makes no sense!

i think it's better to place an ad then at the same time be active on that particular board.

in some cases, people spend the money hoping they won't have to do the work. it's ineffective - they could hire someone as their board rep for not too much money and have two or three times the return.

gfy lets you have i think two stickies for two hours each month with the banner. but those stickies have much more value if you're a known webmaster. if you're not, most likely those stickies won't have much value at all.

Dzinerbear
    I think you're looking at varying levels of experience, too. Lee if you were putting a banner on someone else's board, you'd know the kinds of questions to ask. You'd also be better able to decipher the information you were getting from the board owner. So if a board owner said, "We have 68,000 members," you would ask how many of them were active, whereas others might just be wowed by the buying potential of 68,000 members.

Don't we see this all of the time, a webmaster puts up their first site, then weeks later they stumble in here all frustrated, wondering where the traffic is. Why aren't they making money?

I don't think it's any different with sponsors. MANcheck ran a button here for a campaign a couple of years ago, and when it expired, they said, "Well, that didn't get us much." So they didn't renew. Then I joined the company and participated in this community a lot. It's been blabbing my mouth off about everything under the sun that's gotten me webmasters from this board, not the button that we have. In contributing to this forum, I became known and I assume trusted. I'm not just here pumping MANcheck. So that when someone around here thinks about AVS, my name probably jumps into their head. I've also made friends here, and friends help one another with all kinds of things, whethers it's sending traffic, creating galleries, giving me deals on advertising, information, or advice.

MANcheck currently has a button on this board, but I look for an immediate return on investment. It's branding the MANcheck name. I also put it there more as a thank you for letting us use this forum to talk about our product whenever it's appropriate.

Most sponsors don't get this. Also, there's a lot of bullshit that you have to put up with from boards. And most people don't have the patience, so they opt for putting up a button and think that'll have the same effect as active participation.

cheers
    dzinerbear