Thread: Audio: AC-3: Windows Media Player Help !

curiousbunny

Audio: AC-3: Windows Media Player Help !

I am ripping a dvd and the audio is being saved as Dolby AC-3 and after I rip it windows media player will not play the audio of the .mpg (2) file. Does anyone know of a plugin for Windows Media player for AC-3 Filter?
    I downloaded one and it plays the audio now but the audio is really really low i can't hear it very well.
    Thanks

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    you can try http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/
    I use it for captures from HDTV but sometimes it doesn't work

I use the Windows Media Player 6.4 that comes with "Real Alternative"

curiousbunny
    thanks that's the one i downloaded and it does work it plays the audio but the volume is super super low.

curiousbunny
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

it seems its the same one from soundforge

yeah, see, AC-3 is the format you use for DVD, where the audio and video are separate files.

What you need to do is put your MPG-2 and AC-3 into a secondary editor like Final Cut or Premier and export them as a single MPG file.

or any kind of file, really.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

the volume is low on my PC as well. When I convert my TV capture though it normalizes, not sure why this happens

curiousbunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasun
    yeah, see, AC-3 is the format you use for DVD, where the audio and video are separate files.

What you need to do is put your MPG-2 and AC-3 into a secondary editor like Final Cut or Premier and export them as a single MPG file.

or any kind of file, really.
    yea that's what i had 2 do, i didnt want to since it takes like 40mins or so to convert it but so far its been my only option since raising the volume all the way up on my pc doesnt really help much. Ripping takes like 5mins or so I was excited thought that was my last step

curiousbunny
    Quote Originally Posted by jIgG
    the volume is low on my PC as well. When I convert my TV capture though it normalizes, not sure why this happens
    TV Capture Card?
    I use Power VCR it captures on MPEG2 with really good video and audio then all i do is burn it and that's it. I love it.

no, I use firewire to plug into the PC and then capture with CapDVHS. It's a hack to get the HD feeds and anything else I want to record off the Comcast DVR.

The local stations broadcast in HD using MPEG-2 and AC3 audio. Untill I convert the file to either .mpg from .ts or some other format the audio is always low for some reason. Either the AC3 filter or from the file itself

curiousbunny
    I just realized after i was playing my scheduled shows that i missed that the soundforge ac-3 plugin filter messed up my tv card (well the drivers)
    i had to uninstall it and reinstall it and remove the plugin.