Thread: Atkins, South Beach, McDiet

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Atkins, South Beach, McDiet

PORTSMOUTH - It was during the middle of March of last year when Soso Whaley first heard about Morgan Spurlock’s "Super Size Me" film.
    She was watching "Good Morning America," just like millions of others do every day.

It was then that Whaley was ready to debunk Spurlock’s work - in which he eats only McDonald’s for an entire month only to watch his health deteriorate and his weight increase - as junk science.

"I was amazed that people were actually being bamboozled by director Morgan Spurlock," Whaley said.

Whaley felt Spurlock’s "Super Size Me" should not be allowed to exist without a proper counterpoint to its scientific methodology. Her solution: "Me and Mickey D.," a film she put together almost all by herself.

"Occasionally, people would help me out by holding the camera, but I have to admit that my favorite camera person was my tripod," Whaley said.

Whaley’s main objection with Spurlock’s film lies with the issue of personal responsibility.

"Spurlock could have done the same thing at any restaurant or even in his own home and achieved the same results," Whaley said.

She believes Spurlock’s film is heavily invested in the notion that there is a limit to personal responsibility and corporations should be responsible for our health and well-being.

"As far as I’m concerned, personal responsibility for your own life never ends, and I would never want to hand over control of my life to any corporation," Whaley said.

Whaley ate three meals a day at McDonald’s, just as Spurlock did; however, she only ate until she was full instead of forcing herself to finish everything. Whaley kept her calorie intake to an average of 1,809 calories per day. Spurlock was taking in closer to 5,000 calories on his McDiet.

Similar to Spurlock’s film, Whaley had the help of a doctor who was able to monitor her progress through the entire process. Whaley had never met Dr. Rayner Dickey, of the Holistic Family Health Clinic in Newbury, Mass., before making her documentary film.

"I appreciate his support and help throughout the project," Whaley said.

At the end of her 30-day McDonald’s "McDiet," Whaley had lost 10 pounds and dropped her cholesterol by 40 points. She also lowered her blood pressure.

Although the film only follows her first 30-day McDiet, Whaley also conducted two other 30-day dieting sessions. Her total weight loss over the 90 days was 30 pounds.

"I must admit that I have really enjoyed working on this film because it has allowed me to research a lot of different issues involving our health and it has given me more insight into proper dietary habits as well as the importance of exercise," Whaley said.

Whaley has entered her film in both the Woods Hole Film Festival on Cape Cod and the Northern Lights Festival in Newburyport. She’s still waiting to hear if "Me and Mickey D." will be included as a part of the schedule for either festival.

Whaley is still putting the finishing touches on her documentary and is in the process of securing showings of the film.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/0...news/48357.htm

So there you have it, eat sensibly and you'll lose weight, dont quite see how thats news myself, doctors and nutritionists have been saying that for years $0.02

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    So there you have it, eat sensibly and you'll lose weight, dont quite see how thats news myself, doctors and nutritionists have been saying that for years $0.02
    You know what, though. How many people eat at McDonalds every day without excersizing, and without watching what they eat? The whole way McDonald's is set up is to keep you coming back and your health and weight are always compromised. You save money with buying the bigger sizes. When they do have healthy looking foods there's tons of sugar and stuff hidden in the food. The walnut and fruit salad is worse for you than a Big Mac. And they don't offer you anything to drink other than water that isn't loaded with sugar. The sad truth is that sugar is addictive and by loading it into everything from the ketchup to the buns and even the candied walnuts in the salads, they keep you craving more food, buying more food and coming back for more.

So this woman eats there every day, cutting out half the food they serve her and probably doing some huge excersize regiment and I'm supposed to be impressed that she's lost weight? How about having affordable healthy food at McDonald's? Food that is inexpensive yet actually good for you? Wow, what a concept.

Sorry for the negativity, Lee. I'm dieting now and trying to eat healthy and it really makes me mad that it's so expensive to eat healthy and so cheap to eat terribly. You can eat a muffin for breakfast, a hamburger for lunch and dinner and live on $3 a day and still gain weight. But having oatmeal for breakfast, salads and veggies for lunch and a sensible dinner takes a lot more. It's crazy.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    No im in agreement with you Don LOL

Its no secret that GA and i love our fast food, hell tonight we have burgers and fries on the menu LOL

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Heh heh, i'm just cranky, Lee. Trying to change my eating habits and give up caffeine all at the same time. Ugh.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com