Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 11.11%
  • No

7 77.78%
  • Just do it to annoy people?

0 0%
  • just do it to make them stay there because they are closing out popup boxes.

1 11.11%

Thread: Do You Think Pop Up Boxes Are Needed on adult sites?

MidwestMale

Do You Think Pop Up Boxes Are Needed on adult sites?

Dear Members,

i have noticed most websites have numerous loads of popup boxes when you join there website to see what its about i am going to run a poll do you think popups are really needed to attract business and keep them happy on your website even thou it got like 20+ popups that load ?

tell me what you think..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    IMHO pop-ups arent there to keep surfers happy, they are there to make the site owners money.

If the site doesnt make money, the site closes, we have nowhere to send traffic to.

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    I don't like them and I think they are one of the things that give this industry a bad name. I think if you want to use them, go ahead, but how about trying to use just one. And how about respecting the fact that users are employing pop-up killers. Within days or weeks of the pop-up killer in XP, code was circulating on the boards that killed the pop-up killer. I think this is wrong and does nothing except piss people off further.

I think if you have a good quality website, you shouldn't need to use pop-ups to get sales. And like I said, if you want to use one pop-up, fine. TopBucks is one of the worst in the business with their seemingly never-ending chain of pop-ups. AVN is another one that pisses me off with their freakin' Brain Cash program pop-up every time I open a news article. And I wish program operators would stop putting pop-ups in their webmaster areas ... that's just dumb.

MidWestMale, just so you know, one of the reasons that pop-ups are so vigorously used is to prop up the $30 Per Signup promise made by program operators. In order to be able to pay a $30 signup on a $1.95 trial signup, the program operator has to be getting revenue from somewhere else. They're not just hoping most of their trials rebill to a full-monthly membership. One of the ways they do this is to use exit pop-ups that promote other programs paying $30 per signup. It's a vicious circle.

dzinerbear

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    I was reviewing sites recently and clicked on a sponsor, forget who owned the site, but fuck damn. I couldn't fucking close the windows for 3-4 minutes.

They popped one window which popped a 2nd one. Without closing hte 2nd you couldn't get to the 1st.

So I closed #2, then I closed #1, but #1 popped again leading to #2. Must have done that at least 10 times.

:boo:

MidwestMale
    Well i belive you can make money on a website without popup's from hell. Its all about SEO, Web content, Advertisement , (membership prices), and options available on your site plus the design, feel, and confort of your site as well.

I have noticed if you have a site with ALOT of flashing bells and whistles your site might not do well too much confusion and activity. But Sex sells so anyway a adult site looks it will make money as long as you got the correct content on there or a "nitch" that people like.

Soonnow
    All the above, but most important: TRAFFIC !!!
    Doesn't matter how great your site is, no traffic = no fun.
    - and let me (another newbie?) tell you: Traffic is not easy to come by !

PS: Popups suck
    - If a site succeeds in tricking my browser to pop one up, I leave immediatly!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Traffic is actually the key here.

Think of it this way, a sponsor, is paying you $40 for a $2.95 signup, they are already out of pocket, now, given that surfers these days, on the PPS system almost certainly cancel right away so they dont renew, the sponsor is out to the tune of $37.

If the surfer renews, good, the sponsor will have made 'some' of that $37 back however, the cost to a PPS sponsor of a surfer on average, i would say is around the $35 price mark, that is to say, every trial membership you sell, costs the affiliate program around thirty five bucks.

How do the programs off-set this cost? Simple, upsell inside the site, live chats, movie downloads, store sales, cross sells etc however, the better way to off-set the sale is to use the surfers who dont join their site.

We worked out a few years ago that on average, for every 10000 surfers we sent to a sites tour, around 10% of them will never join the site or, 'wont get given the chance to join the site' (read in to that what you will ).

So thats 1000 surfers say, who make us money from an upsell on the outside of a paysite, through the console.

That can be through joining other paysites, making US $40 per trial or, it can be through PPC sponsors making us anywhere from $0.01 to $0.50 per click.

If a good console strategy is in place, realistically, a PPS sponsor need only have 1 pop up, each pop up after that, cuts the value of that surfer drastically, almost by 50% per console popped, look at it like this..

Console 1 - 100% - $40
    Console 2 - 50% - $20
    Console 3 - 25% - $10
    Console 4 - 12.5% - $5
    Console 5 - 6.25% - $2.50

The more consoles you pop to a surfer, the more worthless that surfer becomes, not only to the program but, to the affiliate sending the traffic. Thats if the surfer is a 'unique' one, for example, they havent hit YOUR paysite from a console off another site, if thats the case, depending on what level of console they hit your site from, they could already be worth as little as $2.50 and each console YOU pop, cuts that value in half each time.

If the surfer that you sent to the initial paysites tour hasnt purchased by the time they have hit the 2nd console, dump them into a PPC aggregate or, send them to a site where they *may* bookmark the site, a TGP, link list, search engine, etc.

A GOOD console strategy is a must in todays marketplace, many programs and webmasters dont understand the simple things about marketing using consoles, the truth is, consoles can and will make you money IF you implement them correctly.

On a 2nd or 3rd level console, you dont offer the surfer a trial membership, you offer them an email or for free sign up.

Anything after level 2 or 3 you dump them asap because all they are doing is losing you money.

Regards,

Lee

if you have an affiliate program, you will get traffic from blind links and exits. this is possibly the worst converting traffic, and it can really eat up the bandwidth - especially if you have preview videos.

also if your site is fairly new, it takes a while to start making money sometimes, and popups help defray the cost. i can't see how one popup hurts anything, but there are sites with such aggressive popups that i have to shut my browser entirely to escape them.

MidwestMale - do you have a paysite?

MidwestMale
    it will be a paysite once all the forms and other things are placed where they are suppost to be at... Until then the site is free for now during setup and well verotel setup and other things i have put limited things on my site but well once we are approved with the merchant bank in the netherlands and also as well once the webcams are intigrated then our next fase is.

Advertisement (usa wide in gay magazines and other things)
    once the advertisement faze kicks off then we will be generating some traffic and other things we are already located on a few pay websites thru business owners i know and also as well we have contacts with production companys, talent scouts, night club owners and other things for our models to get hired on with diffrent companys.

http://www.midwestmale.com

if you own a production company, night club or other talent scout searching for male models in the midwest please email me at admin@midwestmale.com for a information packet..

desslock
    I run a "free site" and I do not use any pop-ups. (One small exception, on my three most popular inside pages, I have a small popup asking for a signup to my site's newsletter.)

However, on my large non-adult website - which is a cooking website - all surfers receive two pop-up ads at the beginning of a twelve hour period.
    Here is some marketing insight that I have seen the ad salesmen at Tribal Fusion use.... and if I were doing significant pop-ups on an adult site, I would consider it:

Because a significant percentage of people use pop up blockers, what they do is have the top of the fold 468 or 728 wide banners advertise the same product as the pop-up banner. They are tied together.

For example, there will be a banner ad for Circuit City running on the page, and the pop-up will also be the Circuit City ad. This means that every visitor will see the ad message.... and people with no pop-up blocker will see two advertising messages from the advertiser. Double exposure.

I can see that advertisers are paying a premium for ad campaigns like this. Therefore, I suspect it is effective.

Steve