Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revshare vs PPS and shaving

Dzinerbear

Revshare vs PPS and shaving

Hi all,

I'm a bit puzzled about a sponsor that I'm promoting quite heavily on my sites. A couple of weeks back I switched all of my codes from revshare to PPS. I was trying revshare because I thought it'd be nice to build up another sponsor with some good rebilling. But the rebilling wasn't happening, so I switched everything to PPS.

When I was on revshare I was converting 1/303 to 1/360, but now under PPS I'm converting 1/792. Another one of their sites I was converting 1/18 and now I'm converting 1/89 under PPS.

The banners are all in the same place, the only thing that's change is the code behind them. And they're in areas that are open to the public, so they're getting lots of traffic.

Shaving? And if so, what do I do about it? If you approach a sponsor and ask them if they're shaving, they'll deny it. Is asking usually enough to get them to cut the shave off on your account? Or does shaving not work on an individual basis like this?

Thoughts?
    dzinerbear

Xstr8guy
    Good post D-bear! I have had similar thoughts. Maybe it's time we ran our own paysites.

I'm thinking the same thing...It converts better with revshare.
    My friend told me he got like 0:2000 with PPS but 1:400 with revshare.
    With the same sponsor, I got 1:1000 with PPS and 1:400 with revshare.

fishy (@) zbuckz.com
    ICQ 294373975

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Do the PPS links go to a site with more console than the revshare version?

If so, you are probably discovering what i mentioned in the other thread about consoles, what percentage of traffic is actually leaked through to a console instead of being able to join the site

Regards,

Lee

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    great post!

I doubt if you would ever get the program to let you in on why....

Dzinerbear did you happen to check on the consoles from this site under PPS or Revshare side by side?

I agree with Lee, there are probably more console leaks in the PPS model. Got to pay for it somehow.

Dzinerbear
    Nice theory, I hadn't thought of that, so it's good to see it in action. However, both revshare and PPS links pop consoles jammed with sponsors.

dzinerbear

Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear
    Nice theory, I hadn't thought of that, so it's good to see it in action. However, both revshare and PPS links pop consoles jammed with sponsors.

dzinerbear
    Do the consoles on the revshare links have links to their OWN sites in a higher saturation rate than another sponsors?

Seriously, there are so many 'tricks' an affiliate program can use just on consoles alone that without knowing the site its going to be hard to say if thats the problem or whether its something on the tour itself.

For example, on a revshare site we own, we make sure to pop a console with 80% of the links crediting affiliates and 20% crediting only us whilst, on a PPS model, we'd pop a console with 20% going to the affiliate and 80% going to us

Regards,

Lee

Also, dont forget, as per my post the other day, even if the consoles do pop with affiliate credited links, the placement in the console chain itself will set the real 'value' of those links when using the (x minus 50%) rule, where X is the numbered console that pops.

Regards,

Lee

Fetishlady
    very good post you have there Dzinerbear!

The "BIG" affiliate programs that have a ton of sites, PPS or Revshare options have never been practical for me. I only send a few hundred hits a day and they are definitely geared toward thousands of hits per day. I am using only one of them now and am about to pull them entirely, simply because they play games wth my traffic and I don't appreciate it. Not to mention signup ratios of 1/2000 or worse.

Any affiliate program that uses consoles, offers ridiculous payouts and cookie cutter sites just raises too many red flags for me. Someone's getting rich off of them, but it usually isn't the person sending the traffic.

Dzinerbear
    I guess the whole situation just really disappoints me in a way, but doesn't surprise me in another. I understand the economics of trying to finance a PPS program, but programs never tell you about all the fine print when you sign up to promote them.

"Oh yes, we'll pay you $30 per signup, even on trials." But they don't say, "But we're not going to be able to actually credit you with every single sale you send us. And we're even going to divert some of your traffic to our own interests." You know at least if they were upfront with what they're doing, I could make an informed decision about whether I wanted to play the game or not.

It's like TGP operators don't tell you, "Every third hit to your gallery will actually be diverted to something that might make me money."

And what's astonishing is the amount of time one has to spend deciphering bullshit in this business to get at something that even comes close to resembling the truth.

So now looking at my stats for this program, to date this month, I've actually made the same amounts of money on the revshare side as I did on PPS. So now armed with this new information, I'm thinking that had I been promoting revshare, I probably would have made the same or more money because I would have been credited with more of my traffic (not all because we can't make that assumption) but more of it. And if you consider that on the revshare side of things, if the program actually does any kind of retention, you'll get rebills, which we all know is easy money. If you're promoting PPS you're having to bring new surfers to the site every month, which after a while will get harder and harder.

The reason I switched from revshare to PPS in the first place was because monthlies weren't converting to rebills so well, so I figured, "Well I'll just take my PPS and be done with it." But now, even with crappy retention, I may have the possibility of making more money than on PPS.

Just when you think you have everything figured out ...

dzinerbear

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I had deluded myself into believing that the percentage of sleazebags in this industry wasn't much different than in other industries.

I just don't understand why anyone in their right mind would do crap like this... or why anyone in their right mind would continue to send traffic to someone that did this. Whether you make money or not, do you really want to support a program that is intentionally trying to rip you off?

As far as I'm concerned, unless the program tells you up front and very clearly that they are going to redirect some of your traffic elsewhere, or only pay you on 20% of your traffic under some circumstances, they're being sleazy.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I believe in treating people fairly and with complete integrity, and I expect the same in return. There have to be plenty of sponsors out there that are completely up front and honest. Perhaps if all the affiliates would vote with their feet and abandon the sleazebags en masse, things would change. Or perhaps that's too much to ask for.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    That is very strange I don't know why chaging over to a rev share would make your ratios go weird like that. The only thing I can think of is maybe the revshare has no trials or different priced trials and it converting differently than the pps.

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    why anyone in their right mind would continue to send traffic to someone that did this.
    Because its not about the shave, its about how much money you make at the end of the day.

A sponsor who shaves @ 5% could end up making you less than a sponsor that shaves you @ 20%

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    For example, on a revshare site we own, we make sure to pop a console with 80% of the links crediting affiliates and 20% crediting only us whilst, on a PPS model, we'd pop a console with 20% going to the affiliate and 80% going to us
    I think Lee was explaining how revshare traffic can convert for the affiliate easier than PPS because less of the traffic is diverted away from a legitimate signup. Since PPS can cost a site dearly if they can't retain, they have to get the money somewhere to pay for it, so they send traffic to other sites (shave) that they make money from. Why would any sponsor "pop a console" on a revshare program that didn't carry the affiliate link with it? Blows my mind.

It seems to be the big players that do that. I've already decided to dump my one PPS sponsor once I get my next check, god knows how long that will take at 1/2000 or worse.