Thread: Roberts Donated Help to Gay Rights Case-Does this change your opinion of him?

Roberts Donated Help to Gay Rights Case-Does this change your opinion of him?

WASHINGTON — Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts Jr. worked behind the scenes for gay rights activists, and his legal expertise helped them persuade the Supreme Court to issue a landmark 1996 ruling protecting people from discrimination because of their sexual orientation.

Then a lawyer specializing in appellate work, the conservative Roberts helped represent the gay rights activists as part of his law firm's pro bono work. He did not write the legal briefs or argue the case before the high court, but he was instrumental in reviewing filings and preparing oral arguments, according to several lawyers intimately involved in the case.

Gay rights activists at the time described the court's 6-3 ruling as the movement's most important legal victory. The dissenting justices were those to whom Roberts is frequently likened for their conservative ideology: Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

Roberts' work on behalf of gay rights activists, whose cause is anathema to many conservatives, appears to illustrate his allegiance to the credo of the legal profession: to zealously represent the interests of the client, whoever it might be. FULL STORY ( There is a lot more here )

---------------

What is your opinion of Roberts now? Has it changed? I personally think, as I've said before, that Roberts is Gay.. his two children are adopted he is well kept and his wife looks like she needs some sex. What's your opinion?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    can't wait to see what the jesus freaks will say.

I sorta think he's a nice guy, probably a real conservative for the most part. Which isn't all that bad

Xstr8guy
    He probably knows that his son 'dancing Jack' is gonna grow up to be gay. So he is just protecting his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    He probably knows that his son 'dancing Jack' is gonna grow up to be gay. So he is just protecting his family.

:wtf: I didn't even notice that.. you're right! Like father like son I guess

I think he's conservative, no doubt, but he said he will respect decisions as established law, so that helps the pro choice peeps, and if he did pro bono work for gay rights groups, he isn't a total zealot.

I think it would be great if he turned out to be a moderate.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    :wtf: I didn't even notice that.. you're right! Like father like son I guess
    Since you're in Australia I guess you didn't you see Dancing Jack all over the news. He definitely has a career as a back-up dancer for Britney Spears or maybe Cher (if she is still alive and kicking when he's old enough). Lol

i guess what you think of it depends on who you are. gay rights are a very important issue, but as a woman, i think that his strongly expressed desire to overturn roe vs wade is more than just an attack on women's rights. after all, you can't take away some rights without it affecting a bunch more rights.

but since he's never been a real judge, never sat on a bench and made a solo decision, the real problem is that whoever the REAL john roberts is as a judge, no one has seen it yet.

i wouldn't even have a problem with trying him out, but this is a lifetime appointment for a guy who seems to be a chameleon most of the time. also, i keep in mind WHO it is who is appointing him. i doubt bush would be appointing him without knowing what he's about...

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    I wouldn't even have a problem with trying him out, but this is a lifetime appointment for a guy who seems to be a chameleon most of the time.
    It's common for Gay men of his generation to be like that.

You're comment for Bush is right on track.. Bush would not put someone on the supreme court that A) He didn't feel he could control B) Knew well and C) had his same head in your ass values.

I do not trust ONE person associate with Bush. With his closest advisor leaking top secret info to the press to get revenge, it just shows what kind of people he's involved with. They all have this holier then thow I'm above the law kind of feel to them. I haven't seen much press about Roberts, but he seems to be different. He seems the least "Bush like" of anyone I've seen Bush affiliated with.

It's important to point out that Roberts didn't do any written work on the Gay rights case, nor any oral arguments, he simply reviewed filings and prepared oral arguments as part of the pro bono work his firm required. He never gave a personal opinion about the case, as the article states!

The abortion stance is a real turn off for me. We all have a right to do with our bodies what we please, including aborting a fetus. I do not feal a woman has the right to act in a way, while pregnant, that will harm a baby she is going to bring to term. How do you feel about that Basschick?

Xstr8guy you're right.. I haven't seen the press in the states about dancing Jack how cute!