Thread: I'm so proud of Canada.

Dzinerbear

I'm so proud of Canada.

First same-sex marriage and now this:

"Prime Minister Paul Martin announced today that, on his recommendation, Her Majesty the Queen is pleased to approve the appointment of Ms. Michaëlle Jean as the 27th Governor General of Canada. Ms. Jean will serve in succession to the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson."

Michaelle Jean is Canada's third female Governor General and she's Canada's first black GG. She was born in Haiti and fled here in 1968 as a refugee.

I feel so proud to live in such a progressive country. I learned this news as I was leaving Canada and heading off to Internext.

For those of you who don't know: "As both a parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy, Canada's Head of State is Her Majesty The Queen who is represented at the national level by a Governor General and at the provincial level by a Lieutenant Governor. Therefore, The Queen has eleven direct representatives in Canada who, by their presence, represent the important work of the Crown and reflect the true face of Canadian society."

So in Canada the GG is the highest you can go.

dzinerbear

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Damn, i couldnt even imagine there a black President in the US or Prime Minister in the UK.

Just goes to show that no matter how close two countries can be, they can still be a world apart

Regards,

Lee

Patrick
    I agree, Canadians seem to have it together. Hopefully, some of that clear attitude will flow south into the US.

Pat

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    I agree, Canadians seem to have it together. Hopefully, some of that clear attitude will flow south into the US.

Pat
    We can only hope Patrick. :notsure:
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Xstr8guy
    Yes, Canada again leads the way for North America! I would move there in a heartbeat if the average yearly temperature was about 50 degrees warmer.

Paco
    Winter is part of what makes Canada so lovely and our willingness to evolve our 'way of thinking' (accept others at face value) is what makes our country.

I would not live anywhere else!

robin
    Oh Canada!... Nice appointment -- ya know I'm starting to really like Uncle Paul.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    Winter is part of what makes Canada so lovely and our willingness to evolve our 'way of thinking' (accept others at face value) is what makes our country.

I would not live anywhere else!
    I know what cold is and I hate cold. I lived in Minnesota for 34 of my 41 years. And if there is one thing I learned, I will never live north of the Mason-Dixon line unless I am forced into a concentration camp... and I think we are about 2 weeks away from our government forcing all gay people into camps and/or out of the country. :uhoh:

SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    I know what cold is and I hate cold. I lived in Minnesota for 34 of my 41 years. And if there is one thing I learned, I will never live north of the Mason-Dixon line unless I am forced into a concentration camp... and I think we are about 2 weeks away from our government forcing all gay people into camps and/or out of the country. :uhoh:
    Don't worry, it will all pass sooner or later, and we'll have a decent president again someday. The only reason it's taken this long is because being gay is easier to hide for the sake of assimilation than say, being a woman, or black. I'm NOT saying that gay men and women all over this country aren't fighting tooth and nail to be out and proud, without persecution. Just that not everyone feels the burn equally, or is as motivated to incite change.