Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of videos do you like?

BritishTwinks

What type of videos do you like?

My boring task for next week is re-sizing all 120,000 photos from our members areas. I've just been told my task for the week after is re-compressing all the videos.

We currently have .mov files that play in quicktime, but apparently that's not very popular.

What options do you guys offer on your sites, and what do you like best when you're surfing?

What file size should I am for (per minute of footage)?

Thanks in advance!!

quicktime is my favorite. my new site will offer both quicktime and wmv.

do you have to use only one size of video? earlier this year, about 20% of our members were watching the dialup size videos, so it may be worth offering more than one size.

curiousbunny
    popular wise id say windows media. quality wise id say real media the codec for real player 10 is great the quality is AWESOME even at 256k

Xstr8guy
    Yes the new RealMedia codec looks amazing! Also Flash is another good alternative that has pretty small file sizes and good quality.

CanShakeit
    I'm running AVI files with the Xvid codec.

Bloopers-Clips and Quickies- 1 1/2 to 12mb
    Regular Girls 15 to 40mb.
    Leanna Vids 20 to 60mb.
    Nudist Camp clips 1 1/2 to 40mb.
    Monthy featuers at 100mb plus.

Plus I got Real Player section that all off the hook too..

Did I say off the hook?

Oh well. :wacko:
    Just passin thru folks... Have good evening...

CanShakeIt - what size is that video? 320x240 or ???

Quote Originally Posted by CanShakeit
    I'm running AVI files with the Xvid codec.

Bloopers-Clips and Quickies- 1 1/2 to 12mb
    Regular Girls 15 to 40mb.
    Leanna Vids 20 to 60mb.
    Nudist Camp clips 1 1/2 to 40mb.
    Monthy featuers at 100mb plus.

Plus I got Real Player section that all off the hook too..

Did I say off the hook?

Oh well. :wacko:
    Just passin thru folks... Have good evening...

CanShakeit
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    CanShakeIt - what size is that video? 320x240 or ???
    Yes it is. I kept them all the same screen size unless somebody askes for a speciality. Then I'll bump up the screen size, and file size for clearity.

BritishTwinks
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    do you have to use only one size of video? earlier this year, about 20% of our members were watching the dialup size videos, so it may be worth offering more than one size.
    We offer FIVE different sizes at the moment but I think that's a bit much. We add three new films per week so I spend my whole life rendering at the moment.

I'd like to get down to two or maybe three, but that means picking the right ones. I guess a small file designed for dial-up users and then two larger ones, with a choice of format. Quicktime and MPG?

Can anyone tell me the difference between Mpeg 1 and 2 and 3 and 4?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    5 sizes is way too much.

I'd stick to MOV and MPEG-1, the latter being the most compatible format that can play on any PC - windows, osx, linux etc.

The difference between MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 is in the encoding algorithym.

MPEG-1 being the oldest format hense more compatible with everyone, the files tend to be larger for the quality offered though.

MPEG-2 is what TV stations, DVDs and TV beamed down from a satellite use. HDTV is also MPEG-2 based, your digitical cable as well. Unless the user has DVD player don't offer them MPEG-2 encoded videos.

MPEG-4 is the latest and it differs in the encoding algorithym. Instead of looking at every frame, it looks for the objects that are in the frame. Any object that remains relatively the same gets re-used

DivX and XviD are MPEG-4 based, and so is Quicktime 6.5

The new standart is MPEG-4/AVC part10 which is even better than the previous MPEG-4 codec and will probably be used in broadcast media by next year. At least by DirecTV

So in short for best compatibility stick to MPEG-1. WMV for best size but it might not play everywhere

CanShakeit
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishTwinks
    We offer FIVE different sizes at the moment but I think that's a bit much. We add three new films per week so I spend my whole life rendering at the moment.

I'd like to get down to two or maybe three, but that means picking the right ones. I guess a small file designed for dial-up users and then two larger ones, with a choice of format. Quicktime and MPG?

Can anyone tell me the difference between Mpeg 1 and 2 and 3 and 4?
    You'll get feedback all over the place as far what codes, what format, what sizes etc, etc.. "That's just my opnion"
    Now I have to admit I haven't read up on this for awhile. But there's 2 primary reasons I mix up the file sizes so drasticly.
    1. Beacuse it let's you use all your footage, which makes it simplier to just capture a piece, tag it with your url, and render it out in what ever size.
    2. (And again, I haven't read up on it for awhile) But the mass download programs that surfers use like GetRight etc, etc go from one file to the next when loading out your members area. Well the surfer sets those programs for a spefic sizes. If you mix up the the file sizes it chokes them down and they abort the download. (but read up this might have changed)
    But if you update your members area weekly for instence on a specific day and all your members relize this, and there mass downloading. What happens is you'll get 25 or 30 guys in there pulling all your fresh videos off at one time and it pulls you server down.
    Just my 2 cents, but I'd read up on the download programs out here now. I've managed to curb that problem doing it the way I've mentioned here anyway. I run out a fresh 100 mb plus file ever month on the first and that's it. Even doing that there like flys to honey. It just depends on the time of day I throw the link out to them.

All this is just my 2 cents though.

320x240 is just not exciting anymore - especially on 1024x768. when i see videos sized like these, even I want to join a site!

http://www.allamericanguys.com/multimediapreview.htm
    http://www.malemuscle.tv/newpreview/MMPREVIEW.html

CanShakeit
    Yep, I understand just want you mean about the size thing. You can max the player screen, but the quality isnt the best that way. Then you get into the ting about what player your using, what codec, etc.

See what I'm looking at is this, and this is just me now. But our content is extreamly rare, and with as many of these new programs out that let the surfer burn his/her own DVD's from a playlist. That makes me a little nervous really. I want them join, look around, make a playlist and let ME send them a DVD.

blah blah blah...
    i'm thinking about offering my vids in two formats at two speeds. The higher quality vid would be around 100kb per sec of video. My vids will be in quicktime and windows media formats just to make sure that users on both macs and windows will be able to view them (should i be concerned about any other OS's or are these two formats together enough?)

a stupid question...what does it really mean when a website offers a video at 512k (or 256k) for example? what would a 6mb per min (100kb per sec) video be considered?

Top Cat
    Don't want to be a thread hijacker but ... I'm looking at video issues and wondering if there is a way to serve up Real files without using a Real streaming server?

Paco
    wmv (streaming only): we offer two to three choices: low (320x240), medium (640x480) and high (720x480)

mpeg/mpg (download only): only high (720x480)