Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions For DVD Editors/Producers

SLS

Questions For DVD Editors/Producers

Do you use music in your dvds?
    If so, would you be willing to get your music from a new source?
    What price range are you used to paying?
    Which is more useful, short clips, regular lenght songs, or longer 20ish minute underscores?

Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to respond!

i usually pay $29 per tune at www.shockwave-sound.com and also i like the music selection at www.fotosearch.com

so far, i have always licensed single songs at a length of 4 - 7 minutes. i figure that's more useful than clips because i can make my own clips if i need 'em.

SLS
    How do you use a 4-7 minute song? That's too long for intros/credits, and too short for use during a scene. Would a $50 ten song cd appeal to you, if you liked the songs?

SLS
    The reason I'm asking is because i'm releasing music in volumes, and I'm trying to figure what each volume should consist of. I don't know if it should be 10 regular length songs, 2 or 3 extended underscores, a bunch of short clips, or a combination. I'm having a hard time getting feedback from enough producers to get a good idea of what would be most useful, to the most people.

Does anyone know of a forum specifically for adult dvd producers?

seems like a 10 song cd for $50 would be a must-buy as long as the music was a good quality.

btw, an 8 to 10 minute song would also work for me - a cd of 5 of those for $50 would also be a very cool thing.

dannyz
    Can you send me some samples of your music? I am actually looking for some to license.

SLS
    I'm still building the new site with streaming previews, I'm trying not to rush so I do it right the first time. It'll be finished any day now though, that's why I'm asking as many questions as I can now to make sure I haven't gotten off the right track.

Until then, you can check out some of our older stuff HERE

We're releasing all those samples as public domain, so feel free to use them in your productions if you download them. Just make sure to let me know if you do, so I can see how it turns out.

BassChick,

YOu might be able to help me with this (or anyone with previous knowledge about this aswell :-)

I've found some songs I like (by an artist vs. royalty-free stuff) and I want to use them in a video clip. I don't know where I'd even start to get permissions/licenses to use parts of the song or even how much it would cost.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    BrianDN

BrianDN - are the clips for sale? if not, contact the composer and see if he will license them to you. if he says no, i don't think you can use them but ask chad...

SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDN
    I've found some songs I like (by an artist vs. royalty-free stuff)
    Hey...I resent that!

SLS
    Basschick, I've completey redone my album structure just to please you heheh, so I hope you'll give them a try. Really what you said sounded like the best way to do it, but I have 12 volumes to release, and a limited number of songs over the 8 minute mark, it was hard to pick out five good ones for every volume, plus underscores and shorter tracks.

I'm uploading all of them now, so stay tuned for the launch later tonight! Should I write some kind of press release or something? I was going to sell them on cd, but mp3 downloads are easier for everyone, so I'm going by the honor system, anyone can download the albums and test them out, then buy the usage license from me if they decide the music is what they wanted.
    That's pretty cool, right?

Brian, I was just kidding with my last post, but I have been writing music for years, with no thought of profit. If most of the royalty-free stuff you listened to sounded like someone went "hey, i'm gonna make some music to sell..." then maybe I'll be a nice change from that.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    BrianDN - are the clips for sale? if not, contact the composer and see if he will license them to you. if he says no, i don't think you can use them but ask chad...
    Hey BassChick... Yeah, it's just a CD album that I have in my collection and so it's not 'for sale' ... I have to initiate the process.

So, who's Chad?

Hey SLS... Actually, I went to your site and downloaded your stuff... It's good. I even went to those sites BassChick recommended (pretty good stuff there, too). I think royalty-free stuff is awesome. I've just found this one song that I want to use!!! Haha..

I'll let ya know if I use your stuff

Cheers,
    BrianDN

SLS
    Your chances of licensing a commercially released track are slim to none. Even if the artist agrees to let you, the amount they will want for it will be enough to buy 20 royalty-free albums. If you tell me the song, maybe I can create something similar for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS
    Your chances of licensing a commercially released track are slim to none. Even if the artist agrees to let you, the amount they will want for it will be enough to buy 20 royalty-free albums. If you tell me the song, maybe I can create something similar for you.

ooh... now we're talking! LOL

I was actually playing around with at idea. Can we discuss this further via ICQ or something? PM with your details, I'm interested in doing that!

BrianDN