Thread: Do You Remember...

SLS

Do You Remember...

back in the day, when you got a new computer, and had to actually type in all the code for most of the programs you used with it? Then you had to save them on your cassette recorder, if you were lucky enough to have one, and if the pitch or tone was off just a tiny bit, you got a bad save and had to type the shit all over again.

That was some awfulness, but at least the thrill of finally getting to type RUN and test it out almost made it worthwhile. Until you got that sexy little SYNTAX ERROR IN LINE 54839 message.

Ah, the good old days. I almost miss my TRS-80, and I definately DO miss my Apple II, the upgrade to floppies was a joyous one. I got my first pc clone when I was 12, and i've never quite gotten the same thrill out of anything since.
    No more typing RUN and making cool shit happen...or making my cassette recorder scream awful noises at my computer for 15 minutes so I could play a pacman clone.

Paco
    Uh ... no, I do not: everything was at the point & click stage, already.

More or less, my first time was wa-hay back in 99'.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Well, the TRS-80 is probably the reason I didn't get into computers. I think had Windows been around when I was in high school I may have gotten into design or something. But all that typing and encoding drove me batty. I mean, I loved it at the time but living in a small town and the other othe computer enthusiasts I knew were way more advanced than I was, and the would rather put people down who weren't up to their level rather than help them along. So my passion for computers came and went with parachute pants. Funny that now I can't imagine living without one. I've been working with more music lately and I find it so hard to believe that I can do tons more with a $200 program on my pc than I ever could with my $500 Tascam cassette 4-track. LOL!
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by WWC-DonMike
    I've been working with more music lately and I find it so hard to believe that I can do tons more with a $200 program on my pc than I ever could with my $500 Tascam cassette 4-track. LOL!
    I had one of those when I was a kid too! Endless hours of fun making tapes of me fighting with myself, singing a duet with myself, etc...damn I wish I still had those!