Thread: Operating Systems - What Are Your Viewers Using?

blah blah blah...

Operating Systems - What Are Your Viewers Using?

Hey guys. I'm trying to configure some vids for a website and was wondering what our viewers/members are using these days so that i know what formats to go with.

Obviously most are using Windows, but what percentage? and Macs? WebTV? Linux?

Is it really all that important to go through the trouble of being compatible with Macs these days?

And how about WebTV and Linux users? Is it even necessary to take them into consideration?

Thanks,

Allan

Xstr8guy
    XP and ME and other Windows versions 95%... Macintosh less than 5%... everything else combined less than 1%. I don't have a huge sampling and most of my traffic is from AVS and SE. I imagine TGP and Paysite traffic would be different.

Good question, by the way!

yup those stats are about the same for me. I also read an article today saying that I.E. is starting to take back market share from firefox:
    In July, 87.2 percent of Web site visitors used Microsoft's Internet Explorer, up from 86.56 percent the month before. Firefox, IE's closest rival, saw its share decline from a record high 8.71 percent in June to 8.07 percent this month.
    interesting, isn't it!

cheers,
    Luke

blah blah blah...
    all you pay-site owners, what are your stats showing? what operating systems are your members using?

H2ohNeil
    Most of them are using the different versions of Windows. But personally I'm addict to linux.

Meant to be Obscene, not Heard. HotMaleVideos's Avatar
    Macs have a version of Windows Media Player 9 for OSX, so if you went with that codec you should be compatible with them too. It's not pre-installed, but it's available.

blah blah blah...
    check out this great source for Browser & OS Statistics http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

but i'm wondering if these stats also hold true for adult traffic

that stats page shows a huge number of firefox users compared to the stats I am seeing...and yes I am talking about paysites here too.

cheers,
    Luke

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    that stats page shows a huge number of firefox users compared to the stats I am seeing...and yes I am talking about paysites here too.

cheers,
    Luke
    yeah, that struck me as strange too. they make a comment about that on the site. and their stats show that more people are using Linux than Macs. ??? can that be true?

I'm A Confirmed Trisexual CuriousToyBoy's Avatar
    Interesting.

Very interesting.

:construct

blah blah blah...
    here is a more accurate stat i think http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2005/July/os.php

that is a sample size of ~265 million visitors from june

good site!

they also have browser stats
    http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2005/July/browser.php

why not just check your pages in firefox after you make them?

Xstr8guy
    I find it hard to believe that Windows ME has 0%. And you gotta love those 13 people that are still using Netscape 1. Lol

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GPallan
    all you pay-site owners, what are your stats showing? what operating systems are your members using?
    Windows 92.4%
    MAC 5.7%
    Linux 0.2%
    Others 1.7%

Browers

MSIE 81.4%
    Firefox 8.8%
    Netscape 2.2%
    Others 7.6%

desslock
    Following your browser report is usually interesting, and helpful. For friskyfans the big ones are 69.62%: MSIE, 11.27%: Firefox 3.16%: Safari

Other interesting items include
    0.51%: msnbot
    0.48%: Googlebot
    BlackBerry7100, Nokia6610I/1, Konqueror/3, SonyEricssonT306, SIE-C65,

And then this lovely item:
    10054 page views this past week from Microsoft URL Control - 6.00.8862, which is a damn hacker visual basic application which after every access leaves that cryptic footprint.

Steve