Thread: Srvers? Looking for someone to handle my bandwidth

It's weird that one group would take refracted light. Pretty greedy, gays. EonFilms_Rocky's Avatar

Srvers? Looking for someone to handle my bandwidth

Hey all.

I'm about tired of these people who run our server. My server seems to go down once a week, it takes them over 6 hours to fix it and they always bill me for working on the server when I pay for no down time, as it is.

I need a good hosting package for my static site (not my vidoe server on teh cam sites, just the actual sites themselves). What companies are out there and who is the best?

Hit me up with your answers on here or AIM or ICQ. Don't email me... because my damn server is down again and I can't get email.

Rocky

PS: If you are one of my clients, I apologize about the server being down. We are supposed to be back up by showtime tonight. 22 hours down so far and counting.

RB

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Rocky,

Shoot a PM across to Luke

Regards,

Lee

Rocky, what is your ICQ? Your profile says its 152 but that is not a valid icq number. Hit me up on 118860760 or sales@chilihost.com if you get your email working, and let me know what you are after.

cheers,
    Luke

Dzinerbear
    Rocky,

You really can't do any better than Chili Host. Luke gives top notch service.

He helped me with the rather difficult decision of moving to a dedicated server and moving my sites out of the U.S. (I'm don't like where the U.S. is heading politically.) With the decision made, he was thoughtful enough to set everything up and move my sites while I was away at Internext. He knew I wouldn't be working on my sites, so figured that would be a good time for me!!!

I asked him to keep my sites running on the old servers for a week or two until all of the search engines had propgated the new DNS numbers. When I told him two weeks later that it was safe to take them down and asked him to invoice me, he just said, "Forget about it."

He's unbelievable. And with Luke watching this part of my business, I'm free to work on other things.

Cheers
    dzinerbear

luke is a really helpful guy, fer sher! and he takes care of business for his clients.

in all seriousness, the best-regarded host i've heard of in our business is isprime.com. when i talk to site owners, and people with experience, isprime always comes up. i know many people hosting there, and if i were moving to a new host, i'd probably either go with isprime.com or theplanet.com.

It's weird that one group would take refracted light. Pretty greedy, gays. EonFilms_Rocky's Avatar
    Just an update:

I am on hour 31 of my server being down. The guys who are there don't know what the problem is, can't offer me an ETA and don't have my site on a back up server in case of emergency, even though I pay for zero down time and 24/7 support.

Here is the URL of the assholes that I need to move away from. And I have no problem posting it in here to make sure none of you ever use their services again.

http://www.acetechusa.com/

Rocky

Okay, here's what I have now. I need to match it:

Unmanaged account adult webhosting
    100 gb bandwidth
    15 gb hard drive space

Dedicated Windows Server
    1024 RAM
    120 gb hard drive space
    2000 gb data transfer
    2 static IP addresses
    24/7 tech support

I need both of those servers, because Emulive only runs on a Windows server. I'm paying roughly $1350.00 a month right now.

Rocky

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Wow. For that price, you should be getting a managed server. Two managed servers, almost.

Honestly, I'd say go with Luke, 'cause I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him and lots say good things... which is VERY rare in the hosting biz. And unless you have the time to fuck with things, it's well worth it to have someone taking care of things... we have two people now that help out with admin, but if we ever decide to go managed, Luke will be my first phonecall.

If you want to go unmanaged, I very highly recommend theplanet.com and/or servermatrix.com (same company, slightly different package offerings). The specs you've asked for should be under $350/month per server.

Our boxes are roughly as follows:

P4 2.6ghz / 1 gig ram / 80gig /100Mbit port connection
    1200 gigs of transfer per box
    Red Hat Enterprise 3
    about $150/month per box (x2)

The Planet packages are more expensive ($250-350), but offer the 2000mb of transfer you're seeking as a standard feature.

This isn't shitty bandwidth either, they buy from like 5 major providers, and we almost never see significant latency, and have had like 10 minutes downtime TOTAL since we've been with them (about 18 months now.)

To give you an idea of their support: Twice, when one of our servers went offline, Planet Support PHONED me within 5 minutes and asked how I wanted it handled. My automated monitoring pages me if the server goes down, and it started going off while I was on the phone with them.) In both cases, it was just a reboot to fix things... but in another case where I had a really weird problem that neither I nor our other tech weenie could figure out, I called Planet, prepared to pay for one of their guys to fix it... they spent about 20 minutes, got the problem resolved, and didn't even charge me. And this on an "unmanaged" box.

There are other good providers out there, and a shitload of crappy ones. I run a tiny hosting company and we've been through about a dozen providers in the past 7 years, and Planet is by far my favorite. (The other two we currently use are great, but one is expensive on bandwidth, so not good for adult, and the other doesn't allow it.)

Sago is another "value" provider that advertises heavily to the adult market, and I know some people that use them, apparently satisfactorily, but personally I've had pretty underwhelming experiences with them, both with reliability and access to support, and (at least last I checked) they tend to buy bottom-feeder bandwidth that is dirt cheap and not terribly reliable. Plus, they have a history as a spamhaus, so if you route mail through them, you'll likely have problems.

Holler at me if you need any more info, happy to give you what I have.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    One other thing:

for what it's worth, it looks like your current provider is apparently reselling the services of Cyberworld Internet Services (http://cwiservices.com/ ), who in turn, is renting some rack space at the Liberty Lake Internet Exchange (llix.net), basically a big data center that rents space to a bunch of smaller providers. (I get this info by looking at who owns the IP space associated with beachboi and domrboyz.)

That isn't necessarily bad -- we have some servers in a rented rack at a gigantic data center in SF -- but what it probably means is that Cyberworld may not have anybody on site in the data center 24/7, or the one guy may be overworked, which is why it's taking forever. I know this because I've been through it three or four times with various providers that use this business model. So the delay may well be your guy trying to yell at somebody at Cyberworld to do something.

Tyler
    Rocky that sucks.

If you haven't already found a solution may I suggest Brad Mitchell and Mojohost they are based in the US and would have you sorted in a jiffy.

You would NEVER have downtime like that with Mojohost. They monitor their servers around the clock and are on any problems within minutes.

Good luck mate.

Thanks everyone! I'm actually going with Luke and chilihost. Luke gav me a great deal last night on a 2 server package. I think Im in love with him.

Rocky

And its my pleasure to have you on board the chili express

cheers,
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBoi_Rocky
    Thanks everyone! I'm actually going with Luke and chilihost. Luke gav me a great deal last night on a 2 server package. I think Im in love with him.

Rocky
    Hey, back off -- I saw him first!!!

Seriously, you've made a good choice! He's tops in my book for customer care and overall service.