Thread: site facelifts

dalimili

site facelifts

How often do you guys give your site a facelift?

I'm asking this, cause most of the gay sites around rarely change the layout, and I do have in mind just about all AEN companies....

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    In all honesty, it depends on what type of site it is.

Free sites, AEN sites, TGP galls and the likes we never update, they are build them and forget them types of sites.

Premium AEN, paysites, TGP's, etc are sites which need to be updated when they stop 'working'.

It all depends on the site itself to be honest, in the last 4/5 years, GWW has undergone 2 or 3 major facelifts and we have found one that works right now, who knows though, maybe itll get another facelist in the next week, month, year, it all depends on when the current design stops working.

If its not broken, dont try and fix it, you may end up doing more harm than good

Regards,

Lee

Paco
    MHO, not often enough!

I 'd like to see at the very least one per year, or at the least add option to change the colour of the background.

Corey Bryant
    We are actually trying to do all of ours right now (mostly mainstream). I have just been working on trying to get them all XHTML compliant while using mainly all CSS.

Doing a facelift can be a pretty good idea - it shows people that you are actually working, they see this usually (for some reason). I usually try to keep the navigation somewhat the same for the "old-timers" so they do not have to search for the buttons. (I hate change myself and hate trying to find that button / link that should be there )

dalimili
    Finally someone who said what I was trying to stress out here....

Giving a site a facelift only shows that your site is actually re-freshed in a while and I know there are hundreds of PAYSITES that did not change their design for years and years... pointless to say that they even changed their content...

I think all paysites, AVS plus sites should be changed every 6-12 months. It needn't be drastic, it can be just improvement, it's the same with just about every brand in the world, they never changed it drastically, they just keep it up with the time if nothing else.

Well, this came from the point of the user, not the me, the webmaster.

Corey Bryant
    Quote Originally Posted by dalimili
    Giving a site a facelift only shows that your site is actually re-freshed in a while and I know there are hundreds of PAYSITES that did not change their design for years and years... pointless to say that they even changed their content...
    Well I think just changing a few things even let's the user actually see new content, rather than reading. When I go to a website, especially one that I frequent often, I do not read it. I might skim it and I might miss that new content has been added.

But actually seeing something different makes me take a little more thorough search. Sure, those emails also might be sent out but most of them get marked as spam.

I'm noticing more and more tours incorporating a page that shows newest updates ... either a manual one they can make changes to or ones that are CMS controlled and actually reflect the look and feel of the member page - but with links that access information outside the member area of course.

I'm a big fan of having some blocks of a tour designed with tables and text that are editibable so that it can be refreshed without having to go to a total redesign option.