Thread: Is anyone techie?

BritishTwinks

Is anyone techie?

I have to transfer a domain to someone who's hosting a new website for us as part of a joint venture but all he's given me is an IP address. Normally I change the nameservers - I've never done it with just an IP address.

The domain is registered through godaddy.com.

Do I need to set up nameservers somewhere and put his IP address within that? Can anyone explain how it works?

You'll have to go into his godaddy account and setup what they call a dynamic dns. Look for it on the right side as an option. I used to understand the OLD form they had, but don't quite get the new one... maybe Luke will see this and can help you, he does all of mine and knows what to do.

Corey Bryant
    I could be wrong but I think that might only be there if Godaddy is hosting your DNS. So you would have to point the domain back to Godaddy. I am not certain if Godaddy allows you to make specific changes to A records or not.

Can you check to see what some of their other sites use as a name server?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishTwinks
    I have to transfer a domain to someone who's hosting a new website for us as part of a joint venture but all he's given me is an IP address. Normally I change the nameservers - I've never done it with just an IP address.

The domain is registered through godaddy.com.

Do I need to set up nameservers somewhere and put his IP address within that? Can anyone explain how it works?

I believe that godaddy offers free DNS as part of its service. You shouldn't need dynamic DNS, as that's for sites hosted on a server where the IP is constantly changing. But basically, you have to set up an "A" record in which you point the domain name and each third level domain associated with it to the IP in question, and an MX record to route mail, for example

IN A mydomain.com 122.122.122.122
    IN A mail.mydomain.com 122.122.122.122
    IN A www.mydomain.com 122.122.122.122
    IN MX mydomain.com mail.mydomain.com

Those records would point all traffic addressed to mydomain.com, www.mydomain.com, and mail.mydomain.com to the one IP address, and announce that all mail sent to something@mydomain.com is to be routed to mail.mydomain.com, which, in turn, is located at 122.122.122.122.

Usually the DNS control panel for the registrars is a lot simpler than having to type entries like the above, but it should guide you through and end up looking sorta like the above once it's done.

Hope that helps.

first off, contact him to make sure he has given you the IP address of the domain, not the IP address of the nameservers!

if its the IP address of the nameservers, ask him for the URL instead

if its the IP address of the domain, go to godaddy and use their advanced DNS tools to setup the records as indicated by boyfunk above. Make sure you delete all other records as well. (all those cname records are pretty useless!)

Before you can access advanced DNS, as Corey Bryant mentioned, you have to be using godaddy's dns servers. These are the default parked nameservers and will be something like PARK1.SECURESERVER.NET. If you do not have those as your nameservers you will have to unlock your domain, then under change nameservers, select to use the default parked nameserver, then lock your domains again.

Please note that every time you do a change (eg, unlocking the domain) it may take a few minutes (upto an hour) before you can move onto the next step....just be patient!

cheers,
    Luke

BritishTwinks
    Thanks guys! I've set that up and it *seems* to be working.

Does this mean that we can have one company hosting our websites and another company handling the e-mail for our domains? That sounds good to me as Jupiter Hosting are great for the hosting but keep buggering up the e-mail. Is there a disadvantage to separating them?

Corey Bryant
    It is possible - you need to edit your MX records as well to point those to your mail server's IP address.

BritishTwinks
    Sounds good - thanks for the help! :thumbsup: