Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Must Be Logged In To View A Threads Content

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? You Must Be Logged In To View A Threads Content

With the upgrade of the GWW Community script we have now enabled the feature whereby a community member MUST be logged in to the board in order to read the contents of a thread.

Unregistered / Not Logged In users may still see thread titles however, to get the information contained within the thread they must be a registered and, logged in community member.

This is to stop information being posted solely on your GWW Community, being disseminated elsewhere in the industry by others claiming the information and advice everyone so freely offers, as their own which, we have noticed happening a lot in recent months.

We appreciate every GWW Community member and as such, we want to do our best to protect not only GWW but, our community members from people stealing their ideas and information.

Regards,

Lee

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    Good plan, I agree 100%

I think this is a great move!

Now if you could only get the lurkers who leach, and rarely, if ever, contribute to post that would really be great :groovy:

Exclusive Custom Gay Content Lykos's Avatar
    Sounds very good to me

thetwink

now all that shows up in boardtracker is signatures. seriously, the 'community' here really seems to want to isolate themselves, and really come accross as arrogant sometimes. this is one of those times.

thetwink
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    I think this is a great move!

Now if you could only get the lurkers who leach, and rarely, if ever, contribute to post that would really be great :groovy:
    you do realize that some people just don't have the time to post as often as you would like... but in your view that makes them a leech... jeez... and some people just don't like to post, what's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by thetwink
    you do realize that some people just don't have the time to post as often as you would like... but in your view that makes them a leech... jeez... and some people just don't like to post, what's wrong with that?
    People can do whatever they want when surfing the web I don't care
    But the more people you have contributing quality posts to a community, the more enriched it is. When people just lurk, they take the resources and knowledge of the community without giving back. The choice is theres and I'm not a bad guy for wanting more people here to interact with, learn from and network with. What's wrong with that?

seriously, the 'community' here really seems to want to isolate themselves, and really come accross as arrogant sometimes.
    I post on a few boards, not GWW exclusively so what is the "community" you're describing? Lurkers are part of the community... so they too are arrogant and isolationists? So trade groups, yahoo groups, political parties, they are all arrogant and issolationists for requiring membership status to benefit from their groups? That doesn't sound quite right. Could you please explain further?

thetwink
    People can do whatever they want when surfing the web I don't care
    But the more people you have contributing quality posts to a community, the more enriched it is. When people just lurk, they take the resources and knowledge of the community without giving back. The choice is theres and I'm not a bad guy for wanting more people here to interact with, learn from and network with. What's wrong with that?
    I never said you were a bad guy, but this paragraph is toned alot nicer than the one where you used the negative feeling word 'leech'.

but in regards to your thoughts on 'taking the knowledge and not giving back'... no one makes you post your knowledge on a public forum, you do so willingly, and you could just as easily not post your knowledge publicly... icq, e-mail to people that you feel have earned the right to partake in your knowledge... hmm this train of thought brings arrogant to mind again (though I will address that part after this)

basically, if it bothers you that people lurk 'without giving back' then don't post your knowledge... easy to fix.

no, you're not a bad guy for wanting more people to interact with, but it's just not nice to judge someone for not having the same ideals.

I post on a few boards, not GWW exclusively so what is the "community" you're describing? Lurkers are part of the community... so they too are arrogant and isolationists? So trade groups, yahoo groups, political parties, they are all arrogant and issolationists for requiring membership status to benefit from their groups? That doesn't sound quite right. Could you please explain further?
    the 'community' that I referred to is the certain clique' that tends to 'stick together' (for lack of a better analogy) here at these forums. I also post and lurk on many different forums, and I can tell you for a fact that some in this 'clique' act completely different when not on this board... less arrogant, I suppose...

Also, you can search my posts here at these forums and see that I have spoken about feeling discriminated against here because I am straight. This is also a basis for the 'community' I speak of...

anyways, there's some further explanations for you.

P.S. The only other board that I know of that has enacted this policy of must log to read, is Oprano... well, it was this way when I clicked to them via boardtracker one day... I have no idea if it is still this way, because I have never gone back to Oprano because of this...

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Interesting commentary here on this new feature.

For myself I can understand the need to protect what is being offered and then claimed by others elsewhere. Its a pain in the butt when you don't get credit for your own works.

On the other hand I see the negative to it as well. For myself I like to lurk before joining any board, and that's not to leech or anything, but to get a feel of the community on that board. The posts help deliver that and allow me to make a more informed opinion on whether to join or not. It is why I have not joined other boards frankly.

As to lurkers, well it really isn't something I concern myself with as to whether they offer anything up or not. I lurked for a long time on one board out of being shy, afraid, whatever you want to label it as. I got a lot of information and subsequently I started to post. Took me time but I can say that if I saw regulars posting that lurkers were leeches or parasites I'd more than likely have left.

I really feel that anything I offer on a board is for anyone who wants to read it. If they respond and begin a dialogue and even network with me, then its a bonus for me. If they simply read it and get something out of it, well that is just great too.

That is just me though, and merely my opinion. I think lurkers serve a function to. The silent majority on occassion do come through for people. Maybe its in a ballot box simply because they read the views and were impressed enough to go vote, maybe not, as they never may say, still it is possible, so I think the more who lurk the merrier it is. I'd hope they'd post after they become comfortable, but for me, not really important.

As to having to login, well its 6 of one and half dozen of another. It is up to the owners to decide. Me just a member and I like the place, so if that's the rule, so be it. I think there may be less new members or maybe more, who knows right now.

But as I say, merely my opinion and everyone is welcome to simpy ignore it.

Ian
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

the 'community' that I referred to is the certain clique' that tends to 'stick together' (for lack of a better analogy) here at these forums. I also post and lurk on many different forums, and I can tell you for a fact that some in this 'clique' act completely different when not on this board... less arrogant, I suppose...
    I can identify with you on that. Some people see the boards as a tool for business only, not as a real community of adult webmasters in the Gay market. Others kiss ass and will back specific people up on every thread in the hopes of getting in their good graces. You will find that everywhere though, both online and in the real world. A lot of people feel they don't fit in certain online communities and it takes a while to find a place that's just right for them.

Also, you can search my posts here at these forums and see that I have spoken about feeling discriminated against here because I am straight. This is also a basis for the 'community' I speak of...

anyways, there's some further explanations for you.
    There are a lot of great people here, not everyone, but a lot. The majority of us don't give a damn if you're straight. We deal with straight business partners, bank tellers, straight property managers, straight bosses, straight parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, etc. For anyone to hate straight people they'd be hating most of the people in the world, and that kind of negativity would push away the Gay people they do know :high:

You might be feeling the awkwardness that some of us feel when being identified as Gay on other boards, the feeling of not quite fitting in, wondering if you're missing something behind the scenes, etc. I haven't researched your previous posts but I'll take a look to see more of where you're coming from.

I'm part of this community and you're accepted by me! So forget the people you think don't like you, and focus on the ones that do, as well as meeting new people here, because, after all, you are The Twink :twink:

thetwink
    I can identify with you on that. Some people see the boards as a tool for business only, not as a real community of adult webmasters in the Gay market. Others kiss ass and will back specific people up on every thread in the hopes of getting in their good graces. You will find that everywhere though, both online and in the real world. A lot of people feel they don't fit in certain online communities and it takes a while to find a place that's just right for them.

There are a lot of great people here, not everyone, but a lot. The majority of us don't give a damn if you're straight. We deal with straight business partners, bank tellers, straight property managers, straight bosses, straight parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, etc. For anyone to hate straight people they'd be hating most of the people in the world, and that kind of negativity would push away the Gay people they do know :high:

You might be feeling the awkwardness that some of us feel when being identified as Gay on other boards, the feeling of not quite fitting in, wondering if you're missing something behind the scenes, etc. I haven't researched your previous posts but I'll take a look to see more of where you're coming from.

I'm part of this community and you're accepted by me! So forget the people you think don't like you, and focus on the ones that do, as well as meeting new people here, because, after all, you are The Twink :twink:
    I appreciate your views, and you were one of the ones that posted in my original threads, something very similar to this.

but, I need to clarify, that no one has made me feel that they hated me here... that's pretty harsh, and I wouldn't have stayed if that were the case.

hmm, about being thetwink... I recently sold that site, so I wonder if I should create a new nick or whatever... though my normal nick is already taken, so this one is as good as any, I suppose.

thetwink
    oh, I forgot... if boardtracker only sees the sig of the post it's listing, then is that all that SEs will see?

I'm A Confirmed Trisexual CuriousToyBoy's Avatar
    Dude,

I am pretty sure I am straight and have never anything less than fully welcome round these parts.

And I am in no "clique", because as Groucho Marx once said:
    I would never join a club that would have me as a member

Having said that I consider many who post here to be personal friends.

In fact I cannot recall ANY instance of "straight bashing" (for want of better words) around here at all.

And trust me - if I did, I'd be all over it like white on rice.

2c

:pimp:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    oh, I forgot... if boardtracker only sees the sig of the post it's listing, then is that all that SEs will see?
    No because the SE's are blocked from accessing the community anyway

Regards,

Lee

I'm A Confirmed Trisexual CuriousToyBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    No because the SE's are blocked from accessing the community anyway

Regards,

Lee
    Can I ask why Lee ?

Or is it a State secret ?

;-)

:vanish: