Thread: How Do You keep Your Wires Tidy + Organized?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

How Do You keep Your Wires Tidy + Organized?

So we currently have, what seems like a hundred power, modem, printer and telephone cables laying around the office and its getting to the point where the poor dog cant move anywhere near either Gary or My desk without turning something on or off inadvertently.

What are you folks using to keep your cables and stuff tidy?

Im thinking one of these days the poor dog is going to lay under one of our desks and get the 'shock' of her life so we're wanting to avoid that.

Any tips you folks want to share about how we can 'hide' all of these cables out of her (and our) reach?

Regards,

Lee

BritishTwinks
    We tidied the downstairs office last week and ended up with a black bin bag full of cables that weren't needed any more but had still been running along the floor! Once everything was organised, it was much simpler - and now we have those tube things that keep everything neat. It's very minimalist and cool now!

I've seen several types of cable organizers on the market - some are like a cloth type tube that you feed them thru, others can be mounted to a wall - or back of a desk, something like that runner that gets used to add more electric power around a room.

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    I use some ties we found that have Velcro on them. It helps a lot but still so many wires and cables around.

I have been on a bluetooth binge lately with the phones, pda, wireless headphones and all. Funny thin, all this wireless and they all need power cords to charge them up. Now if we can just get wireless electricity.....

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    That was easy. I built an L shaped bracket behind my desk. (2x4’s) So all the wires fall into it. As I needed power I kept on adding apc’s. Also my d-link router is wireless, and the laptops and one printer is on that network. I take one of my laptops down to the weight room in the house and use head phones and use the treadmill.

yup, cable ties are the way to go. You can grab a pack of these at most computer shops for a pretty cheap price too. The velcro ones are fun cuz you can reuse them.

cheers,
    Luke

Hal
    I agree with sukime69. We've converted everything possible in our offices and studio to wireless, including printers, phones, network, etc.. Now if we could only bring that genius Nikola Tesla back from the grave to finish his invention of wireless transmission of power - and if anyone could have done it..... Unfortunately, the US government wasn't happy with him, claming he was communicating with the planets and building a death ray. It was said the goverment had a hand in stopping many of his research projects. Lets see how this logic translates to our business: Electrical Experiments-Death rays, advanced communications-conspiring with aliens, adult entertainment - destruction of family, sex - immoralization of society, 2257 - saving the youth of America. If you all don't get it, I sure do.

P.S. Again sorry for the line of thought posts. Please don't think about them too much - it's just my old brain spewing.

the queerest straight girl in the world...
    Ikea has this cool runway thing that mounts under your desks... so, I run the cables through that, use velcro to bring em down the legs, and put em in a cable tube to the wall.

Of course, when i need to pull it apart, it totally sucks.

Paco
    I also hate the site of cables.

There are too many ways to mention:

At home, I lifted the carpet and pulled back the baseboards and have black PVC (4") tubing (looks like one of legs from the desk) and black heat shrink/wrap tape.

At the office, they (the other staff and owners) do not mind the cluttered or rat's nest look and do not want to spend any time or money on the matter, so I simply duct-taped the cables to the desk and etc.

Corey Bryant
    We were using one of those cable tubes (and I think from Ikea also) - but cable ties just seem a lot easier. When we had to re-do some of them, it seems it was more difficult getting the cables out of the tubes

desslock
    Radio Shack and Fry's sell all kinds of ties, tubes and holders for you to tame your wild wires.

Steve