Thread: Pros + Cons Of Working For Yourself Vs. Working For An Employer?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Pros + Cons Of Working For Yourself Vs. Working For An Employer?

I was just wondering, seeings as how we have a nice mixture of GWW Community members, some of whom work for themselves, and others who work for an employer what we all thought the pros and cons of being self employed, versus having a job with someone were?

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is not having to work on a specific time schedule if you are self employed.

What would you say the benefits of being employed or self employed, as well as some of the worse parts about both are, especially for adult webmasters?

Regards,

Lee

i work for myself, but sometimes i also work as an independant contractor for other webmasters as well.

the best part of working for myself is that i can work whenever i decide to work. the WORST part of working for myself is that i can work whenever i decide to work. why? because given half a chance, i become a workaholic.

the best part of working for other people is probably having a guaranteed paycheck. but besides being able to take time off when you need it, another great part of working for yourself is that there is no limit to what you can make per week.

also as an independant contractor, i can tell anyone who is rude to me or extra demanding to fuck off - and sometimes i do.

one last thing about working as an indie contractor is that i get to see a LOT of different sites' member areas and tours, and i've helped build a bunch, as well. it's fun and exciting, and the projects are always different.

basement
    Well one thing with working for yourself is u lose track of the days. I didn't know today was a holiday. Weekends are no different then weekdays for me.

working for someone else means the workday is usually just that, a predefined number of hours in the day. When you are not working you don't have to even think about it. Plus you get a regular paycheque no matter what your performance is (assuming its not too poor and you get fired).

working for yourself usually means you care about your business and it succeeding a lot more, thus your workday becomes your life, you think about it all the time. You also have full control over your destiny, if you are successful you reap the rewards yourself. You can single-handedly double your income if you chose to work at it and have a bit of success. You can also chose to work less and live with less money, an option that is very tempting! And you don't have to deal with moron bosses either.

Yes working for yourself is a lot harder and there is a huge chance that you will not make as much as a regular job, but there is a freedom that is worth it all!

cheers,
    Luke

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    I have been self-employed for the past 10 years and cant imagine having to go back to a job with set hours and a very definite limit on what you can make.

I have always been a workaholic so getting to work as much as I want is a plus. I really like the fact that I have some measure of control over what is happening with my work life, something I never had with an employer. The thing that always pissed me off with them is if they made bad decisions, they could bring the company down and me in the process.

Now, I can invest as much or as little time as I want. I think the return is based on the effort put in so it usually works out pretty good for me. One thng that has made being self-employed a lot more fun is taking on a good business partner and having the staff to support our needs. It can get really lonely sometimes working all by yourself.

The other real improvement I have found is being active within the community here on GWW. Takes away that sense of isolation and I have made better friends on here than I ever made around the coffee pot in an office.

All in all, I cant imagine what it would be like to show up someplace monday through friday. And not thinking about my business all the time when I was not working, my god, what would I think about???? :high:

desslock
    I haven't had a "real job" since 1996. However, striking out on your own is nothing to take lightly. It took me a number of years to find exactly what to do that would make a living. Also, it also took for me awhile to learn the self discipline that has to go along with working for yourself.

The self discipline thing is probably the largest hurdle for people who "want" to quit their ball and chain day job and be their own boss, or live as an entreprenuer. I see this everyday.

Steve

dannyz
    The self discipline thing is probably the largest hurdle for people who "want" to quit their ball and chain day job and be their own boss, or live as an entreprenuer.
    This is true...especially in our business. It's very easy to get...er...distracted. :honest:

And not thinking about my business all the time when I was not working, my god, what would I think about???
    getting laid ...:honest:

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec
    getting laid ...:honest:

Thanks for the reminder. Thankfully I am mutitasking. :cute:

AusCoding Allan
    Hmm,

I have to say that working for yourself is great - you have the freedom to achieve what you want to achieve and the ability to govern your desting but as I am currently doing both working for someone else is also excellent but only great if you are working for someone that provides a reasonable work environment and stimulates your desire to acheive.

Cheers,

Allan

curiousbunny
    I tried to do my own thing a few mos ago but based on my lifestyle/expenses and not having steady work I was forced to get a job again full time. This time though it is different. I see that it is not a JOB like I thought about my other job. My new job is great and people are fun and always happy. I see this as a career and a place to expand since Bank of America is so huge. I just started two months ago and tomorrow Thursday I have an interview for a Manger position that opened up. I think 2 myselfl where else would anyone even bother 2 interview me after 2 mos of just working there for a manager position? So thank god i feel great about my new job. When I was home all the time as Patti mentioned I was working alot and reading/learning at others and I was lost cuz am used to chit chattin all the time with my coworkers and now it was just me so i was bored at some point. LOL Now that am back 2 work it feels great it feels like I have a blance in my life again. I think having your own business is like they say the american dream. You are your own boss ! Just remember you do have to have discipline and find a balance to have a healthier life.

Doctor Dre
    Pros :
    More money
    Less schedules

Cons :
    Less stability ...
    Less social advantages ...

Paco
    PROS of working for myself: I could tell the boss where to go, how to get there, give him a bus schedule and the proper fair/change ... oh wait, I already do that to my employer.

CONS of working for myself: way too much responsibility for this clown - I love life way too much and I would only work enough to make EXACTLY (and I do mean exactly) what I need, and then I would be gone, until I need more cash.

I'll wait till I am old and broken before I get serious about coin.

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar
    PROS of working for someone:

steady paycheck
    you don't have to work too hard (just enough so you don't get fired)
    paid insurance/benefits (sometimes)

CONS:

you can't live where you want (i'm desperately trying to relocate to the SF Bay Area or Dallas/Ft. Worth area)

you can't just take random days off when you want to
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com