Thread: DRM (protection) for an Image-based Site

DRM (protection) for an Image-based Site

Hey ... Anybody got advice for about how to protect images for a site that's primarily image-based?

I've considered many options and I'm totally confused at this point :err:

The first thing to really consider is whether I should allow the content to be downloaded (and then use watermarks, etc.) or if I should somehow prevent the downloading of images.

Am I confused for nothing (ie: will ripping-off of images be so minor that I shouldn't even take certain measures)?

I'd like to allow downloads just because I think members would get pissed off if they couldn't. I know I would.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Maybe even if you could let me know what you're doing on your sites.

Thanks guys :-)

members DO get pissed off if they can't download the pics.

and btw, more surfers every day won't join a site that uses drm. i have been inside a couple member areas where they used drm, and there were problems - i couldn't watch the movies on and off.

i think that other than watermarking and .htaccess, there's a point at which you have to bite the bullet.

BritishTwinks
    It's best to put your energy into producing new stuff and not worry about people stealing some of your old stuff. You'll drive yourself mad if you're not careful. Just relax and keep updating with new material.

Yeah... I've been letting this issue simmer in my head and I was thinking about that (always look ahead, focus on new stuff)... So, watermarks it'll be!

THanks again guys :-)

BrianDN

Camper than a row of tents
    Surfer sharing of images isn't that big. Full sets are almost never passed around. Usually only 2 or 3 per set max at each location.

Visitors to such sites know they are going to see a bunch of random content, so it's certainly not an equal replacement for paysites. Watermarks tell them where to go if they want more. So these sites in my view are actually an asset to paysites with above average content.

Made-for-internet photo and video isn't popular with bigtime content pirates anyway. They go after DVD rips. There's a few exceptions with some big sites and really in demand models, but nothing those outside the upper level of paysites need to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 26z
    ...Watermarks tell them where to go if they want more. So these sites in my view are actually an asset to paysites with above average content...
    This is a good point... I contemplated this. It could prove to send some unexpected traffic (as long as the watermarks aren't cut off, of course)...

Thanks,
    BrianDN

basement
    I have a much bigger problem with other webmasters, ripping off my pics ( usually from galleries) and using them as there own, than i do with surfers.

i remember that problem was the worst with the panty sites. those pics were showing up all over on galleries, and were being used to promote other sponsors - although some sponsors helped to handle the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by basement
    I have a much bigger problem with other webmasters, ripping off my pics ( usually from galleries) and using them as there own, than i do with surfers.