Thread: .htaccess enough?

.htaccess enough?

Hey Guys... Just curious: does an .htaccess file provide sufficient security for a member's area (or, can people who have the know-how still get into a paid area somehow)?

If there are other methods being used (in addition to .htaccess), I'd be interested to know.

besides .htaccess, use strongbox or pennywize.

H2ohNeil
    Hi,

I prefer you go for something else other than .htaccess as the latter doesn't contain the needed option for this.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    .htaccess will be enough for a surfer that DOESNT have a user/pass combination however, they can always be 'bruted' so id suggest either PennyWize or StrongBox in addition to using .htaccess.

That will also protect you from those password sharing sites where genuine password combos are shared / posted for public consumption which can and will drive up your hosting costs.

Regards,

Lee

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    I use Strongbox for my sites and I cant say enough good things about it. And Ray gives excellent support and helps work out any issues. I know it has saved us literally thousands of dollars in wasted bandwidth and solved our password trading problem.

Here is the link: http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/

Good luck!!

Thanks guys! That was very helpful. I love this group! Everybody's always so informative and helpful.

Cheers,
    BrianDN

PS: Any preference (so far, strong box seems to be the better one)... It seems like strong box is way cheaper as well, although could pennywize be more effective (based on how much they're charging)?

Brian

strongbox offers better protection for your websites as it resides on your server and it checks a number of factors to decide if a userid/pass is being traded or if an IP is being used in a hacking attempt.

I have been recommending strongbox to my clients and all but one love it.

pennywize is a good choice as well, it was the leader in protection for years, but overall I would recommend going with Ray's strongbox product.

cheers,
    Luke

Thanks for the input Luke :-)