Thread: Calif. Approves Gay Marriage Bill

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar

Calif. Approves Gay Marriage Bill

(AP) The California Legislature on Tuesday became the first legislative body in the country to approve same-sex marriages, as gay-rights advocates overcame two earlier defeats in the Assembly.

The 41-35 vote sends the bill to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The bill's supporters compared the legislation to earlier civil rights campaigns, including efforts to eradicate slavery and give women the right to vote.

"Do what we know is in our hearts," said the bill's sponsor, San Francisco Democrat Mark Leno. "Make sure all California families will have the same protection under the law."

Leno's bill had failed in the Assembly by four votes in June, but he was confident he could get it through on a second try after the Senate approved a same-sex marriage bill last week.

Democratic Assemblyman Paul Koretz called bans on gay marriage "the last frontier of bigotry and discrimination, and it's time we put an end to it."

Assemblyman Tom Umberg, a Democrat who abstained when another gay marriage bill fell four votes short in June, said he was concerned about what his three children would think of him if he didn't join those "who sought to take a leadership role in terms of tolerance, equality and fairness."

But opponents repeatedly cited the public's vote five years ago to approve Proposition 22, an initiative put on the ballot by gay marriage opponents to keep California from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries.

"History will record that you betrayed your constituents and their moral and ethical values," said Republican Assemblyman Jay La Suer.

Anyone want to wager on whether Arnie will sign it or not????

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar
    Too much money and too much influence on the Republican side of things. He believes in the present status quo, domestic partner law, and believes that either courts or voters should decide. That being said, I think he will veto this as he cannot go down as a Republican Governor that sided with gay rights. He will defer saying there is already a court decision in the works concerning this and he doesn't want to confuse the matter more by approving this legislation......so he will veto.

Quote Originally Posted by tombarr
    Too much money and too much influence on the Republican side of things. He believes in the present status quo, domestic partner law, and believes that either courts or voters should decide. That being said, I think he will veto this as he cannot go down as a Republican Governor that sided with gay rights. He will defer saying there is already a court decision in the works concerning this and he doesn't want to confuse the matter more by approving this legislation......so he will veto.
    Yes indeed I agree. Remember that his platform before running for Governor was that marriage should be between a man and a woman. I hope one of his children is Gay :francais:

JustBryce
    We should still try to show our support for the bill as even baby steps (having a real bill on a real governor's desk) will inevitably turn the tide.

http://www.govmail.ca.gov/

Enter your name and e-mail address,
    select "Gender neutral marriage.\AB00849" from the dropdown
    and select "supporting" as the type of comment. Enter a comment of
    support for the bill and click "submit".

Rainbo1956
    Thanks for the link Bryce!

thanks for the link. i sent my support of the bill, and a brief email.