Thread: Does Size Matter? (banner q)

SLS

I Wonder? Does Size Matter? (banner q)

Pretty much since I've started making banners, it's been my understanding that anything over 35k for a 468x60 is too much. But I just saw an awesome Boy Secrets banner that's a hefty 185k! What would you say is the current size limit, or a decent range to try to stay in? Are 100k-200k banners ok now?

USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS
    Are 100k-200k banners ok now?
    I am sure 100%, yes

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Size is important, but so is placement.

It can't just be big, You must know how to use it
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

USA
    Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw
    Size is important, but so is placement.

It can't just be big, You must know how to use it
    good point

judging by video useage, more than 20% of our members are on dialup. over 100k is going to slow pages for those guys pretty badly. if you have decided you aren't going to worry about that 20 - 25% of surfers, it DOES free you up to go with the big stuff...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You can still get a very good quality animated banner at 15k.

Why make them larger in filesize if you dont have to? Especially since every time they laod they will end up costing you almost ten times more.

Regards,

Lee

SLS
    Yeah but that requires more talent than I have.

You're one to talk anyway Lee, you're sig button is 26k. You won't even put up other people's buttons that are over 10k. Most of the ones on the Resources front page are well over that. And your 15k limit on banners, most of the ones that rotate here are also well over that. Is there some kind of magic new compression tool that can make 15k banners not look like crap? I have to say boardtrackers 10k button is fantastic, so I gotta wonder.

SLS
    btw I'm not saying that's a bad thing, your GWB button and banner are two of the most attractive eye catching ones I've ever seen. But do you think you would be better off with smaller, plainer ones? They both fit into what I would consider a normal size range. I don't get the 10k/15k thing. But I don't get 100k/200k either, maybe the Boy Secret's designer just forgot to use any compression at all.

Doctor Dre
    Not all designers understand how to optimise gif files proprely . here you don't learn that in school at least