Thread: Technical Question about DNS and Default Gateway

Hamilton Steele

Technical Question about DNS and Default Gateway

I've got my windows 2000 humming nicely.
    But I can't set the DNS and Default Gateway.

According to my system that information should be:

Connection Specific DNS suffix: noos.fr
    Default Gateway: 85.169.xxx.xxx

I've been all over the network properties and I must be doing something wrong. I have network connection but no DNS available to me.

it sounds lik eyou have "obtain IP address automatically" ticked??? If yes, you can't set that info manually.

cheers,
    Luke

Hamilton Steele
    Thanks for the tip.

I've inputted my DNS information. All of it, including the suffix and default gateway. I even referenced it with my other computer to make sure they are identical.

But sadly....

I still can't get access to any websites. My computer sees the net but I have access to nothing.

No IRC
    No Limewire
    No Internet explorer
    No virus update
    zip ziltch nada.

So I'm lost.

Have you tried installing your ISP software all over again? And maybe chatting with their support team?

Other than that, I think the next step would be for you to get a techie to come in and check it out. Unfortunately it is rather hard to remotely troubleshoot your system and I am starting to run out of ideas.

Good luck!

cheers,
    Luke

Hamilton Steele
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    Have you tried installing your ISP software all over again? And maybe chatting with their support team?

Other than that, I think the next step would be for you to get a techie to come in and check it out. Unfortunately it is rather hard to remotely troubleshoot your system and I am starting to run out of ideas.

Good luck!

cheers,
    Luke
    I don't want to sound like I'm taking another shot at the French. But this is France.

I put in a complaint to Tech services and they promised to contact me by the 21st.

Corey Bryant
    I'll try

Go to Start - Run. Type in CMD and OK. At the command prompt, type in ipconfig and <ENTER>. What does it say?

Just curious how do you know the computer can see the internet?

Hamilton Steele
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    I'll try

Go to Start - Run. Type in CMD and OK. At the command prompt, type in ipconfig and <ENTER>. What does it say?

Just curious how do you know the computer can see the internet?
    ok,

DNS suffix : noos.fr
    IP: 65.169.2xx.xxx (xxx so I don't get hacked)
    subnet mask: 255.255.254.0
    Default gate: 85.169.206.1

As for how I know it can see the Internet..
    The network lights flash like no tomorrow on the network card. Also, when the cable is un-plugged the IP address disappears when I type in IPconfig.

Corey Bryant
    On that other computer that works fine, is it connected to the network at the same time or did you have it turned off?

Hamilton Steele
    On that other computer that works fine, is it connected to the network at the same time or did you have it turned off?
    I actually have to dis-engage the cable out of the one computer to put it into the other. Our macintosh has it's own independant connection. It's just the PCs that have to do this.

The problems began after I had to use someone's wifi connection.

Corey Bryant
    It sounds like that wifi more than likely changed some type of a setting. As Luke says, it is so difficult to diagnose without being right in front of the computer.

Hamilton Steele
    It sounds like that wifi more than likely changed some type of a setting. As Luke says, it is so difficult to diagnose without being right in front of the computer.
    I'm considering re-installing the entire operating system. But it is such a pain in the ass because win2000 won't install under dos.

My computer has a swapable 3 1/2 floppy and CD rom. After re-formating I have to install Dos for the CD rom drivers.

Those 3 diskettes they give with win2000 don't work unless you have both a 3 1/2 and a cd operating at the same time.

I'd rather be whole, than good
    Sounds like you need a quick upgrade to XP pro:extat:

Hamilton Steele
    Quote Originally Posted by buffdude
    Sounds like you need a quick upgrade to XP pro:extat:
    No No No NO NO and case you missed it NO!!!!!

I down graded the operating system from XP pro. Damn thing kept closing applications and poping up that fatal "Send Error Report"

2000 is nice and stable.

But XP is worse than ME.