Thread: Taking a break ?

Soonnow

I Wonder? Taking a break ?

How (if) do you go about taking a couple of weeks off ?
    - from updating your member sites.

Could I just post a note, saying there won't be any update until so and so ?
    - I know I wouldn't like that, being a paying member...

you set your member area up with a CMS (content management system) like MAS or content god. it will happily update without you.

on the other hand, if your customers need customer service, they won't be too happy not to hear back for two weeks. and someone should be making sure the server doesn't go down...

Soonnow
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    you set your member area up with a CMS (content management system) like MAS or content god. it will happily update without you.

on the other hand, if your customers need customer service, they won't be too happy not to hear back for two weeks. and someone should be making sure the server doesn't go down...

Thank you Basschick

The "service" can usually be resolved with a little emailing - doable from anywhere.

It's the uploading of new content - I don't have a lot of space, so whenever I upload new stuff I have to take out the old - and modify the "menu".
    Automating that process, probably could be done - If I left my home PC running on some kind of schedule, maybe with java doing FTP...
    - but reliably, hm...

I was looking for some kind of magic words for soothing my subscribers :goofy:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    If you purchase a CMS you wont even need to have your PC turned on whilst you are away as it is all handled on the server.

Having a good CMS in place that suits YOUR needs for maintaining a members area is definately a good investment.

Regards,

Lee

if you have that little space in your server, the solution is obvious. move to a server with more space, buy a cms, load your server with update content, and you can take off for regular vacations

your members won't be very happy if you're always taking content out of the member area anyway, and you can get some VERY good deals out there.

Xstr8guy
    It almost sounds like Bimboy is using his home computer as a server. Is that even possible nowdays?

Camper than a row of tents
    Some FTP programs allow you to set up a schedule of tasks. This would at the very least handle the uploads. I don't know if they support deleting of files.

If they don't, maybe you could do a cron job for that and then schedule the upload shortly after.
    I post here to whore this sig.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Expanding on what matt 26z said, you could rig a poor-man's cms by uploading the extra content you'll put up while you're gone to a separate directory (complete with modified menu pages) and setting up a cron job that just copies those files to the correct directory on the day the files need to become live.

That way the new menus will overwrite the old, and the new content will be there right when it's supposed to.

You'll still have to answer the customer service emails, but as has been stated, there aren't many places where you can't find an Internet cafe or other access.